HotRamen

Does anyone else have any aro related projects they are working on, or know of some currently existing ones?

Sorry for advertising but, First of all I just wanted to share the webcomic that I'm working on here:

https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/the-other-side-of-the-wall/list?title_no=247918

it only has two chapters out so far but ill be updating every 6th of the month

it has 3 main characters that are aro; well they all dont really feel romantic attraction but this world doesnt have a word for that.

its also a take off of a soulmate AU where people are born with a tattoo of the name of their soulmate, except in this world some people werent born with a tattoo and theres a wall built between the two groups. any way if this sound intresting please read it!

Second of all I know of the aromantic and asexual characters database but it mostly has books. Books are good although I perfer comic books better, but I was curious about if anyone is working on anything aro related like a song, or an animated short, a comic, or even just a script for a play or a movie. I also want to know if theres already media like this out there that is made by aros and aro-spec people, or has aro representation. I guess I'm just kinda bummed on how little representation there is in these other catagories. 

• Like 3

Hi there!

Not sure if these count since they are all in the 'planned idea' or 'first draft' stages of existence, but I have several stories in the works that includes aro and ace spec characters. Some of them are novels (one novel series is an urban fantasy where one character is aroace, and one I'm realizing is probably bisexual greyromantic, possibly demi). My fantasy short stories series that I started has an aroace lead (most the rest of the cast I haven't decided orientations for yet). As for none novels/written works I do have an aro-spec superhero that will eventually be an origin novel followed by a comic book series (her 'sidekick' and eventual best friend is aro-spec too). And I have a film idea that's based on the concept of 'fantasy buddy cop style film' where one half of the main duo is aroace (I do admittedly write a lot of ace aros simply because it comes more naturally to me by far, but I am starting to branch out a bit!).

So there are some medium-future to far-future stories coming up depending on when I'm able to get them done. Your webcomic sounds really cool by the way! I'll check it out some time, I totally agree the media needs more rep for the aromanticism and asexuality. Unfortunately because of the lack of rep I don't personally know any currently existing recommendations for that. But I'm also really interested to see if others have any!

• Like 2

Advertising of aro related things are always welcomed here, at least by me 😄

The web comic heartless is really well drawn and has an aro ace protagonist. It's even a central plot point to the story. http://heartless-comic.com/

• Like 1

As far as music goes apparently Cavetown is aro. I heard of him from my friends and I like his music. I dont know of any other musicians that are aro tho.

Not sure that it counts as Nothing is published (yet >:() and anyway it's in French, but I do work on books where there is aromantic stuff. In one, I have a QPR (though none of the characters are aro (I Don't even know aromanticism existed at that time), I built their relationship on the idea that boys and girls can be friend and that friedship can be a bond as strong as romance; and it ended up that I describe them as "soulmates but not in a romantic way").

In another, I have an aroace character. I was sure for ace (he is even sex-repulsed), but not about aro because the guy is a sociopath and I didn't want to add to the "aro are psychopaths" stereotype. But at the same time, he will stop a bit his sociopath behavior, and I didn't want to add to the "love will make you a better person" stereotype. So after a lot of thoughts, I decided that I didn't have time for romance anyway and that aro is good. Anyway he is the best character.

And in a story I have finished, I thought that if I ever write a sequel someday, I was wondering if my main character will be aromantic and allosexual. In particular as it is a book for children (for 10 years old and more), it could sensibilize to that question.

• Like 1