yester

Is kissing romantic or sexual?

Title says all. I know I'm some sort of aromantic, but I think I'm kissing-averse. I think (THINK) I'm allosexual though. Is it possible to be allosexual and kissing-averse? Does that mean kissing is a romantic thing? 

And finally, uh, if I ever have sex, should I simply tolerate the kissing part to get to the other stuff??

That's definitely possible. I'm pretty sure I'm not totally asexual, but I'm really not interested in kissing, at least not on the mouth, for any reason.

And don't feel like you have to tolerate anything that makes you uncomfortable. There are definitely people who feel the same way as you. There are whole cultures where kissing is uncommon and even that view it negatively (Source: http://www.soc.ucsb.edu/sexinfo/article/some-culturally-based-differences-sexual-activity), which I think shows that kissing doesn't have to be a part of sex.

• Like 2

I don't think kissing has anything to do with sex. It's just a way to show affection, like hugging. The activity of kissing on the mouth isn't all that meaningful or significant, I just think that western culture gives it the meaning of love and affection so most people view it as that.

I would say that it may be sexual, sensual or romantic. (Including in combination.)

Most likely kiss-adverse alloromantics often tolerate it.
Similarly for touch-adverse ones and hugging.

Huh, I'm aroace and also kiss averse, but I guess I've always found that the placement of said kiss is what determans what it means. 

I guess my kiss code is: 

- Forehead kiss >> strictly platonic, usually familial 

- Cheek kiss >> romantic or very close friends,  occasionally familial (I'm American so we don't do Europe cheek kisses here) 

- Mouth kiss >> romantic or sexual 

-Kiss on neck or other part of the body >> entirely sexual

This will of course vary by region or country, but based on where I live this is what I've picked up on. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 6:21 PM, Mark said:

I would say that it may be sexual, sensual or romantic. (Including in combination.)

Yeah, agreed. People perceive kissing as a lot of different things. If you personally perceive it as romantic and don't like it, that's fine! 

I'm very much allosexual, and peronally I dislike kissing unless it's in the context of having sex. Like, I'll enjoy it if I'm horny and it's leading to or part of other things - but other than that I don't like kissing. 

And yeah, as others have said you don't have to "tolerate" anything you don't like sexually if you don't want to! Just communicate with your partner(s) and let them know you don't like kissing. 

• Like 2