Cat

Am I aro, ace, or just young?

Hi everyone, 

So I'm 15 (almost 16) and I have never really experienced sexual attraction to anyone. I've never had a crush, never had a boy/girlfriend and never kissed or even held hands. All my friends at school are either attracted to others (celebrities and stuff) or sexually active, but I just... aren't? I don't want to kiss anyone and definitely don't want to have sex, and have never really thought anyone to be beautiful aside from the occasional objective "I can see why someone would be attracted to you". However, I don't know whether this is because I'm ace, aro, both or neither and just young. How old were you when you realised and what would you say if you were me?

• Like 1

Hello! Honestly? I see young peoples being romanticaly atracted every day so… I don't think 16 is too young to know. Also, not wanting to kiss or have sex can be a hint!

and, between you and me? I realised (somewhat) when I was around 10, i just didn't have to word for it. 

Also, even if you're not aro ace (well, you could still be a-spec), it's okay. If you feel that aro/ace fit you right now, feel free to use it!

• Thanks 1

I was 15 when I realized I was aroace and I'm almost 20 now and things haven't changed. That doesn't mean they won't change for you, but I also don't think you're too young to realize that about yourself. 

Remember it's okay to try on a label for a little bit and then decide it doesn't work for you. People and experiences change and it's not wrong to go through multiple labels in your lifetime  

• Thanks 1

I am 16 now and discovered about asexuality and aromanticism about 6 months ago. After sharing the same reasons as you and realizing my past history of incomprehension with romance and sex (I remember an argument I got into about abortion because I couldn't for the life of me understand why people always said abstinence was impractical), I accepted the labels as they fit far better than straight etc.. ever would. It actually took a fair number of conversations (mostly with by bi and lesbian friends because no one else talked about this stuff) because I was reluctant to "constrain myself" and I had always imagined marrying (in a relatively platonic way) and having kids, but I think it would have been disingenuous for me to keep deceiving myself. 

So since you sound similar to me, I would hazard that there is a very good chance you are aroace but that is really up to you to decide

(Sorry for the convoluted sentence structure and parentheses everywhere I'm totally a concise and articulate person 😂)

• Thanks 1

I was like 13 or 14 when I first heard the term aroace, and I sort of was like, "okay sure, sounds like me" and mostly forgot about it until later, when I was uncertain about it again and questioned it, leading me to do some research, and eventually to deciding I'm definitely aro (and ace, but I didn't really debate that). I kind of knew that I didn't get crushes when I was a young child and all my friends (well, one in particular) were ranting about all of their million different crushes that I could never keep track of.

I'm 16 now, so it hasn't really been that long, but I am fully convinced I'm aro (and ace too I guess) now and I will personally fight the world if anyone says I'm too young to be that.

My advice? Try it out. Try thinking of yourself as that, see if you like it after a while, and see if it fits you. This is all I can really say, as you know your thoughts and feelings the best, and only you can decide who you are. There's no harm in changing it if you realize new things and decide it doesn't fit anymore.

• Thanks 1

I've known I wasn't like everyone else from the time I was about 10. I didn't know how to put this into words until I was 18, but I'm a week shy of 21 now and I still feel the same way. If you feel it, you feel it.

• Thanks 1

Go with what you feel now. If later you renounce it, then that's fine. Life is about making those choices that make you happy, and these choices don't necessarily affect other people. If people say they do, they're also wrong. 

You're young, sure, but I ID'd as Aro when I was fifteen, and flopped on it later only to accept this part of me now. That may not be your story, or you  may not flop at all. Maybe it's your fit, but if you ignore these parts of yourself they'll only come out later.

Wishing you the best. c: