Why?

bookgeek

So there's this thing in almost every movie, when the main characters need to save the world or their asses and out of nowhere boom! Romance. Why do you need to ruin a scene full of action and stuff with a romantic kiss or confession? You want romance? go watch a romantic movie. Like, dude you're in danger, evil forces are after you just run, kissing will not save your ass. And also, what's with the Tina and Newt thing in FB2? Why? Just DON'T.

P.S. sorry for my grammatical mistakes.

Man do I feel this. Like, I get it conceptually - desperation of the moment makes them think if they don't get the romance out of their system NOW then they will die without it ever coming to closure, and romance supposedly makes characters more "relatable" - but omg would I love for them to not use that trope so much. Like sometimes I can take it but it's everywhere! In general I am very pro more fantasy/sci-fi/action stories leaving out the romance, with maybe a few exceptions it's almost always the weakest or least interesting part of the story. That's why my main stories have little to no romance in them, though I would like if the rest of the industry would pick up on this. 

Rogue One broke away from that cliche and just had them hug as they waited for death. It felt so much more meaningful than if they had kissed while waiting to die. It just seems that they need to fill up an aspect of the film and they resort to the easy answer of romantic subplot, just get over it already!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Ugh the most irritating... When just before the main character goes off to war, the love interest runs to them to share a passionate kiss. This couldn't have happened earlier in the movie when the stakes weren't as high? The odds are they had a million scenes of the two subtly or not so subtly flirting the whole time. Why couldn't you have done it then? When I'm trying to get to the final showdown of the movie it's less romantic and more aggravating.

man... ready player one included this and i about died. it wasn't necessary. i remember being in middle school and the hunger games books bothered me because katniss never once had a, "Can this wait? I'm a little busy." moment.

I never saw the "ready player one" film, but if it's like this in the film it's especially sad because in the book art3mis leaves him alone multiple times specifically for him to focus on saving the OASIS instead of trying to impress her. In general, I think the book is better. Hey, the whole first key was obtained via a D&D adventure, taht is enough on it's own.

4 hours ago, Tagor said:

I never saw the "ready player one", but if it's like this in the film it's especially sad because in the book art3mis leaves him alone multiple times specifically for him to focus on saving the OASIS instead of trying to impress her. In general, I think the book is better. Hey, the whole first key was obtained via a D&D adventure, taht is enough on it's own.

Haha, i have heard the book is better. Literally so many times does art3mis walks away... Just....... Let.......... her leave............ It was so bothersome to me when he kept pursuing her. There was a point (we were watching the movie at home) that I physically just got up and got water instead. Romance isn't bad you know, it was just that it was so forced, and that he wasn't listening. stuff like that just bothers me.

On 1/6/2019 at 3:32 PM, sunny said:

man... ready player one included this and i about died. it wasn't necessary. i remember being in middle school and the hunger games books bothered me because katniss never once had a, "Can this wait? I'm a little busy." moment.

I think I might have had a little headcanon of Katniss being aro-ace the whole time. I really glossed over the whole love triangle thing until other people mentioned it and even then I turned a blind eye. All I cared about was getting to the end.

6 hours ago, Cee Fox said:

I think I might have had a little headcanon of Katniss being aro-ace the whole time. I really glossed over the whole love triangle thing until other people mentioned it and even then I turned a blind eye. All I cared about was getting to the end.

Oh snap??? I love this?? This is such a good HC.

On 1/10/2019 at 5:42 PM, Cee Fox said:

I think she does read as at least gray aro/ace to many of us.
I certainly related a lot to her in her dilemma of wanting intimacy and comfort from the guys but on the same time not wanting to lead them on. I agree with @sunny, she should have just said to both the guys "I'm in the middle of a rebellion. If you really care about me you will help me get through this and when it's all over I'll figure out how I feel."
When I read it I was actually rooting for her to pick neither of them but instead just grow up a bit and then maybe marrying someone once she was in at least her mid twenties. That was always my standard wish for any teenage romance plot. Therefore my favorite book was Unarranged marriage by Bali Rai. Just kidding there are some good YA books with romance, Kate Cann write good ones.

This also happens in fandoms, even if a character has no romantic interest you have to ship them with somebody. I mean, give them a break. Like Reyna in Heroes of Olympus - the girl has no partner at the moment, but everybody still ships her with someone, draws fanart of that ship, writes fanfics of her with like two hundred different people. It's like a character needs a romantic partner to be complete or relatable or interesting. Spoiler: they don't.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2019 at 7:14 AM, BecauseMeg said:

This also happens in fandoms, even if a character has no romantic interest you have to ship them with somebody.

Isn't that kind of the reason for fanfiction? people get hung up on 'what if those two people were together because they aren't in cannon' then thousands of people have the same idea with all sorts of different pairings. Even the aro/ace authors I know enjoy pairing characters up, even if they read those characters as normally a-spectrum of some sort in cannon. 

I must say I hate the romantic delays in movies. There is a countdown to a bomb exploding and they take 5 minutes to stumble through a confession. Sooooo unrealistic, everyone would be dead 3 minutes ago. It should be like the flash game One Chance

Spoiler

you get distracted by the wife or the flirty co-worker and everyone dies

It is like people who listen to others ramble because they think it would be rude to stop them. No, there are more important things to do. Romantic rambles do tend to be the worst as they are generally really badly timed. 

Archived