bojack horseman

ok idk whether this has been mentioned but have you guys seen bojack horseman?  there's an ace character and the representation is really good (in my allo opinion) and i was like, nice, but then!  they said the word aromantic!  boi, i paused that real quick and screamed.  i wasn't expecting to hear that on tv in my lifetime. and they brought it up again in a later episode and it just made me so happy.  also the show has some real talk about lots of stuff, i recommend it.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I've seen it. Love the series. Not only because of their great representation, though that's a huge plus. Because the creators proved they know how representation is done right. Not over the top or in a weird way. It feels authentic and I was impressed as they even mentioned aromantic too.
It's one of my favorite Netflix series to this date (and I bet it'll stay this way).

yeah, i generally prefer much older tv and film (40s-70s-ish); some of my favourite sitcoms are 'i love lucy' (#1 always), 'the mary tyler moore show', and 'the bob newhart show'.  this is mainly because i find them more tasteful and genuinely funny--likewise, other genres need nothing but the talent of the writers, directors, actors, etc.--while modern media in general relies too heavily on crude humour, over-the-top effects, and other shock factor-like stuff which doesn't impress me at all.  all this to say, if a modern piece is to hold my attention, it must have something special to offer.  for instance, in 'friends': the petty drama drives me crazy and the casual bigotry far exceeds that in the decades-older shows i named, however i rewatch it because there are some really funny scenes/lines, 90% of which are chandler's.  on the other hand, 'brooklyn nine-nine' isn't the kind of thing i'd normally watch and some of the humour leaves much to be desired, but the representation of various minorities is great and i can't think of a single thing i found problematic--it's full of good people and healthy relationships, or the bad ones are purposely portrayed negatively.  'bojack horseman' was quite similar in that respect.  i probably won't watch it again but i did appreciate parts of it.

Archived