Aromanticism and Religion

Emerald Cheetah

Religion  

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I remember answering in the other poll where I said Australian. I do believe the Dreamtime stories, they explain the land I live in quite well. But I also accept that much is unknowable at the present time so generally I say I am agnostic (which also help me avoid the vapid racist who think ecological spiritual values are limited by bloodlines). 

• 2 weeks later...

Grew up in an Islamic country, but honestly my parents never were extreme type of believers, my mother always openly being fairly critical of things that makes no sense to her when it comes to customs around it, while my father just kinda assumes that if you try to live a honest life then it is none of his business despite being religious himself. So I grew up being allowed to openly question all about "God" and existence and other religions, so I can't say I was ever truly believing in any religion since I knew myself. I go with Agnostic rather than Atheist, though it really is mostly that I really feel like I know or can know enough to call possibility of any, by our terms "supernatural" thing as complete bullshit given our limited senses, but I at the very least do feel like I know enough to know any major religion claiming to have the "knowledge of the world" and is built upon social power hierarchies that somehow always seems to absolutely coincidentally beneficial to whoever was in power at the time AND also to people trying to still stick with such rules sounds fairly dubious to say least.

So somewhere on the agnostic/ignostic line of reasoning with functionally being an apatheist, open to possibility of but not actively into spirituality in the shortest terms.

• 4 months later...

I believe in a Cosmic Mind, but I don't think humans can achieve a personal relationship with It. I also don't believe in afterlife. So, deist appears to be a correct term

• 3 weeks later...

Norse polytheist. I have never had an issue within this religion regarding my orientation, outside of a few general bigots. It's also been nice that the deities most connected to the concept of love - Frey, Freyja, and Frigg - all have multiple other aspects. Frey and Freyja are primarily fertility and war deities, not love deities, and Frigg is a deity of family and prophecy. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, aro-fae said:

Norse polytheist. I have never had an issue within this religion regarding my orientation, outside of a few general bigots.

How many religions do have a problem with asexuality, though? Christianity certainly doesn't - Jesus was an asexual and chastity is an ideal in most churches. Same for Buddhism. Islam might have a problem, as it want its followers to procreate. Paganism? Given its nature orientation, sex is a huge part of nature, so "traditional" heathens could have a problem. Based on lack of bigots in your community, I reckon you are a Wicca-like Pagan rather than a folkish one.

9 hours ago, Spacenik86 said:

How many religions do have a problem with asexuality, though? Christianity certainly doesn't - Jesus was an asexual and chastity is an ideal in most churches. Same for Buddhism. Islam might have a problem, as it want its followers to procreate. Paganism? Given its nature orientation, sex is a huge part of nature, so "traditional" heathens could have a problem. Based on lack of bigots in your community, I reckon you are a Wicca-like Pagan rather than a folkish one.

I definitely avoid the folkish side, yes. 

I wouldn't say that many religions have an issue with asexuality/lack of sex or desire in itself, however, a lot of religions (in my opinion) have an issue with aromanticism. Christianity and Hinduism pop to mind as ones that really emphasize a male/female partnership (in the form of marriage) as necessary to spiritual peace and goodness. The only times the single lifestyle seems acceptable is when someone takes a vow of devotion such as with nuns and monks. 

Since you mentioned Wicca, I would add that there is a huge focus on sex and male/female duality. Whether that's an asexual problem, a gender non-conforming/genderqueer problem, or simply an all around non-cishet problem is debateable. 

17 hours ago, aro-fae said:

I wouldn't say that many religions have an issue with asexuality/lack of sex or desire in itself, however, a lot of religions (in my opinion) have an issue with aromanticism. Christianity and Hinduism pop to mind as ones that really emphasize a male/female partnership (in the form of marriage) as necessary to spiritual peace and goodness.

Aro allos have more problems than aces, because they have sinful sex outside of marriage ?

• Like 1

I've been a Methodist for my entire life - not entirely forced, mind you, my parents taught me to ask a lot of questions and to never blindly trust authority - and honestly, the process of finding out I'm aromantic has strengthened my faith. It was the starting point to me questioning a lot of harmful beliefs I had, and forced me to actually read my Bible and develop my own conclusions regarding science and God, as well as questions like "what about my bi friends" and so on and so forth. My assistant youth pastor and I hold down the "question everything" fort at my church and we discuss theology a lot. 

It also led to me actually acting on my inability to trust blindly, and to call out the teachers when I noticed inaccuracies to scripture or science. 

Basically, aromanticism was a big part of strengthening my faith.

Although I will say I'm uncomfortable with the concept of blindly cross-applying the label "asexual" to Jesus or any other deity I believe in.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2019 at 9:36 PM, aro-fae said:

Since you mentioned Wicca, I would add that there is a huge focus on sex and male/female duality. Whether that's an asexual problem, a gender non-conforming/genderqueer problem, or simply an all around non-cishet problem is debateable. 

Well, the female-male duality is a huge progress compared to the following:

It was necessary for woman to be made, as the Scripture says, as a "helper" to man; not, indeed, as a helpmate in other works, as some say, since man can be more efficiently helped by another man in other works; but as a helper in the work of generation.

– Thomas Aquinas: Summa Theologiae, First Part, Question 92

but it still strikes me as a bit archaic.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2019 at 12:42 AM, mirithepuppy said:

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (you may have heard people refer to it as the Mormon church, but we would like to keep the name Jesus Christ in the title when refering to it). My religion is very family-oriented, and it very much encourages dating and marriage. However, while the people of the church can be judgmental, I have never felt like the teachings of the Church in any way exclude or condemn me for being aromantic. I know that God made me the way I am, and his plan for me just doesn't include romance. The Lord has spoken to me a lot through prayer and revelation about my ability to influence friends and roommates and family, etc. and to strengthen relationships with them. He has not told me to date or get married, and I think his plan for me takes into account the fact that I'm aro. The best way I can influence the world is through platonic love, familial love, and Christ's love.

I'm also a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--albeit a bit less active of a member at the moment. I agree that the doctrine taught in the church is very inclusive and loving, but I find it difficult to continue interacting with other members of the faith (hence, I don't attend church often anymore). I think I begin to feel a bit alienated and almost guilty because I'm aro but not ace. Romantic love and sexual love are divine by the Latter-day Saint doctrine. Do I get married to someone I am sexually but not romantically attracted to, some imaginary figure I have taken to calling my "monogamous sexual partner," which may be making a mockery of marital relationships? Or do I continue in a voluntary vow of celibacy until some promised day when I might be granted to gift of feeling romantic love? Which is more important? Sexual love or romantic love? In the church, it seems like romantic love takes precedence. 

I wonder, too, if similar dilemmas exist for those of different faiths? 

On 7/9/2019 at 10:38 AM, Spacenik86 said:

How many religions do have a problem with asexuality, though? Christianity certainly doesn't - Jesus was an asexual and chastity is an ideal in most churches. 

Depends whom you ask. Plenty of sects of Christianity are big on being good Christian spouses and raising good Christian children. (Especially for women.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2019 at 4:38 AM, Spacenik86 said:

How many religions do have a problem with asexuality, though? Christianity certainly doesn't - Jesus was an asexual and chastity is an ideal in most churches.

As a (Baptist) Christian I can tell you, that's not true as far as I've seen. Like @eatingcroutons said, many Christians expect others to marry and have children. And even though my mom is single, she definitely wouldn't accept me being aro/ace. She (like many Christians) is against all LGBT+ in general, and aromantics and asexuals would be no exception. She'd also think I was being a snowflake, wanting attention, etc.

That's not to say Christians should look at us that way, because the Bible makes it clear that being married doesn't make you better than being single, and that marriage isn't for anyone. But people don't tend to see things that way, I guess.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

I'm a Protestant Christian and I didn't understand religion at first but after a while I found comfort in praying to God and I feel less alone when I talk to Him. My religion doesn't really affect my aromanticism and moreso of me being bi. I was afraid that God wouldn't love me anymore because I'm not cishet and it didn't help that the church I used to go to spouted anti LGBT stuff that made me feel worse about myself. I now know God won't hate me for being bi or nonbinary since I can't help it

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2019 at 9:11 AM, Cake-Loving Dragon said:

As a (Baptist) Christian I can tell you, that's not true as far as I've seen. Like @eatingcroutons said, many Christians expect others to marry and have children. And even though my mom is single, she definitely wouldn't accept me being aro/ace. She (like many Christians) is against all LGBT+ in general, and aromantics and asexuals would be no exception. She'd also think I was being a snowflake, wanting attention, etc.

This might be a difference between Protestantism and Catholicism, because Catholics have the option of celibacy.

• 1 month later...

I believe that all religions and their gods exist to some extent.

For me, there's this force we can't comprehend as humans, so we try to explain it away with religion. Some people prefer to have this whole force as their one and only God, others prefer to view it in it's different aspects, creating polytheistic religions.

Personally, I like to picture this force as the Norse Gods, with me having worshipped them for years now, Loki in particular, since he helped me understand my gender and that one doesn't have to conform to what everyone wants you to be.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m a member of a Presbyterian church and I go to a Baptist private school. 
My church is supportive of me wanting to be single, like some other people said, chastity and respecting/treating your body like a treasure is encouraged highly. My pastor actually preached a sermon about how being single is just as good as being married/dating. I am a Christian and it makes me feel better to know that Jesus was single, same with Peter, Paul, and all the other apostles. (God does say that singles can do just as much as romantic couples, that both lifestyles are equal in value.)
My school... Baptist.

Thats all I really need to say.

Aromance is like “But marriage... Get married, stay married. WHY DO YOU NOT WANNA GET MARRIED?!?” 
So... school is rough, but my church is very loving and understanding. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm an agnostic, formerly catholic.

I did not feel like my equal status as woman or my (gray)sexuality was ever aknowledged by the catholic religion. I felt like the catholic community was expecting me to get married one day or to become a nun. At some point, knowing 1 or 2 progressist priests that made sense was no longer enough to justify my faith towards this whole institution. I decided to keep some teachings in my personal values but I don't belong there anymore.

On 1/21/2020 at 8:38 PM, Morgenfluss said:

Personally, I like to picture this force as the Norse Gods, with me having worshipped them for years now, Loki in particular, since he helped me understand my gender and that one doesn't have to conform to what everyone wants you to be.

I'm loosely interested in paganism (incuding Norse Gods since I watched Vikings ;-)) as I believe that some of their gods had ironically more modern views than our current catholic pope.

• Like 1

Ok, so this has to do something with religion and I'll shoehorn something in about aromanticism... Last Friday I saw all these guys running around with roses in the public, for real. What was this again? Oh... of course. Then I wondered if Valentine's Day isn't like in a really bad time of the year! Still deep in the winter!!! Where do you get the roses from? ?  + ❄️ = ?

This tradition must be relatively modern. Only after the invention of air cargo ... or at least greenhouses. Is this perhaps ... a celebration of romantic craziness?

This is true only for the Northern Hemisphere, of course.

Only logically, on the Southern Hemisphere there are some Wiccans and Celtic neopagans etc. who celebrate Beltane on 31 October / 1 November. It switched places with Samhain (Halloween) for them.

Sooo... shouldn't Valentine's Day be on a different date for the Southern Hemisphere, too? Like on 14 August?

Then we could transport via air cargo the roses that naturally bloom in the Northern Hemisphere's summer to the Southern Hemisphere. And the other way around. Wouldn't that be great?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm an athiest and I actually think that it helped me to discover and accept my aromanticism better, though it didn't have a direct impact. For one, when I became an atheist, I had to completely rethink how I thought of the world down to the fundamental parts of my mortality.  Having already done that once, when I discovered I was aromantic, I had to rethink everything I thought I would have in the future. I had to rethink my values when it came to relationships of every kind. It was a lot easier doing that after already having to have done it once.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, I'm an atheist in the middle of her angry phase... hopefully I'll move on to my humanist phase after college so I can help people.

And let's be clear, I'm not in my angry phase because I left religion and am pissed about being lied to or controlled.

I'm in my angry phase because when I hit was about high school age, my eyes were opened to the atrocities religion was responsible for. War propaganda and fear mongering, controlling the  less educated and how they think, the abuse of children by the Catholic Church, LGBTQA+  youth being thrown out of their homes by their parents because they chose religion over their children, the misogyny, the xenophobia, denying access to abortion and reproductive services, denying LGTBQA+ from adopting children, the double standard that they think a fetus has more rights than the mother and yet do not give a damn about the mother nor the child once the child is born, the double standards in the "morality" they uphold and the actions they commit that are a direct contradiction of that "morality", inability to accept reality, reason, and science. I'm angry because I have compassion for other people and do not want to see anyone suffer needlessly because who they are does not align with some antiquated, out-dated way of explaining the universe. 

Sorry angry rant over.

Apologizes if some of the content was offensive to anyone.

My being an atheist and being aro are not connected as far as I am concern. My lack of romantic attraction to people does not affect my disbelief in a deity nor my compassion and caring about other people.

• Thanks 1