Writing / Fic event?

I mentioned this site to my QPP a while ago, and he said his first thought was that "Arocalypse" should be the name for an apocalypse / post-apocalypse themed big bang focusing on aromantic characters. The more I thought about it the more I liked that concept -- most of the post-apocalyptic AU fic that I've encountered on AO3 has been romance themed, and I would very much like to have a more found-family dynamic in more fic. The bang would be multi-fandom (incl. original fiction) and different word minimums and posting deadlines could be discussed. (A traditional 50k minimum bang is Way, Way too long for a lot of writers, myself included; 10k or 5k seems much more doable for more people.)

I've got some limited experience running exchanges and bangs, so if there's interest here I would be willing to help set this up (preferably alongside someone else).

What do you all think?

34 minutes ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

Isn't that basically what Aggressively Arospec Week is? ?

it's definitely similar! personally I find it easier to commit to bangs or challenges with a theme and a hard deadline, so I thought maybe some other people might feel the same. if not that's totally cool, Aggressively Arospec Week is awesome and I'm glad it exists

On 10/25/2018 at 1:26 PM, MargauxTheArtist5 said:

It sounds interesting, but I have no clue what a bang is, in relation to writing. Could you explain it?

Fanlore has an article about it here -- the long and short of it is, authors sign up to write a longer story with a wordcount minimum (the ones I've run or participated in have usually been 10,000 words), and then artists choose a story to make art for based on submitted summaries. It's a way for an artist and author to collaborate on a project.

Archived