Which Aromantic Flag?

Which one do you like most?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 2016. 04. 16. at 10:00 AM, Dodecahedron314 said:

2. It looks very similar to the agender flag, really only differing by number of stripes...which, as an agender aro, I find to be something of a problem.

I have seen some versions with with triangles/arrows inside, would that be better?

I'd support the idea, it would be cool to have another flag with coat of arms.

• 1 month later...

It was a hard choice for me because I'm a vegetarian :P 

I ended up voting the first one because I was sucking a orange candy at the time and also because it reminds me of tricolor pasta (green with spinach flavor, yellow plain and orange with a carrot flavor) eating which is a kind of an aro date :noodles:  

Well, to be a bit more serious, I like the flag for its enhanced rainbowness, though I had to read the thread to recall what on earth the orange color represents.

It should be made a bit less contrast, though (with the orange being a bit yellower).

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I'm a mathematician and I have a tendency to philosophy, too. I'd be extremely glad if I could help. I'll try to methodize the proccess of choosing a flag. I'd appreciate it a lot if you'd take sometime to consider what I'll say, then comment if you feel like and help. Have in mind that my english is not so well and rich as my mother language.

I think, in order to result rationally to a flag, we have to analize and decide for each of its compoment step by step:

Steps

1. Clarify the meaning of the possible colors of a flag.

2. Decide how many and which of theese meanings(/colors) is essential to be included.

3. Clarify the meaning and the practicality of the possible shapes of the flag and of the color areas.

4. Decide the shape of the flag, the shape and placement of the color areas.

5. Εxamine the possibility of any additions to the flag.

I'll start with the first. I searched online the meaning of the colors of the possible aromantic flags and there seems to be a mess yet. Meanings of specific colors overlap each other. I thought to create polls asking which meaning you consider more rational, but I prefer to discuss it here and watch some reactions first.

Below, I summed up everything I found and tried myself to explain what was unexplaned. If you desagree with anything, or you think I missed out something, I'd like to know. Please, try to reason what you say. I seek for answers and opinions to my ten big question marks:

GREEN possible meanings:

1. Aromantics - Because it's the opposite of red, which is the common romantic color.

LIGHT GREEN possible meanings:

1. Aromantic Spectrum (Grey-Romantics, Demiromantics, Lithromantics, WTFromantics ect.) - I guess because each orientation on the spectrum falls between a specific color (different for each) and  green (aromantism). So, alltogether fall between white (the mix of all the specific colors) and  green (aromantism). The mix of white and green makes light green. Do you think the logic is right?

WHITE possible meanings:

1. Aromantics together with their Romantic Allies - Because all the colors together make white. Also, white is the common color of peace.

YELLOW possible meanings:

1. Lithromantics - Because they fall between romantics (red) and aromantics (green)· the mix is supposed to make yellow (although it's actually make brown?!).
  2. Friendship - Because yellow is a common color of friendship.
  3. Queerplatonic relationships - Because queerplatonic has a close relation with friendship.

ORANGE possible meanings:

1. Grey-Romantics - Because they fall between romantics (red) and aromantics (green), so the mix (brown)... looks like orange?
  2. Lithromantics - I guess because of the same reason as the above?
  3. Friendship - Because orange is another common color of friendship. Which one do you prefer for friendship, yellow or orange?
  4. Platonic relationships - I guess because, if you prefer yellow as the color of friendship, platonic eros falls somewhere between romantic eros (red) and friendship (yellow), so the mix makes orange. Do you agree? Which color do you prefer for platonic relationships?

GREY possible meanings:

1. Grey-Romantics - because we adopted the word "grey" from the asexual community. Grey is between white (sexuals) and black (asexuals). But, then, hadn't we to adopt white as the color of romantism and black as the color of aromantism, too, if we wanted the romantics in the middle to be gray? It doesn't make sence to accept only one word of a code and reject the others. If you make a transfer to a structure, you have to do it uniform to all the structure, in order for the the structure to maintain logical connections between it's compoments. Well, if we are not going to reconsider the adoption of "grey" in grey-romantics word (maybe you can see it as a play on words), at least we can reconsider the adoption of grey color. A play on words doesn't seem to me a serious source for the color represenation of a meaning. What do you think?
  2. Demiromantics - Because demiromantics fall into grey spectrum either.

BLACK possible meanings:

1. Demiromantics - I guess because they lack one type of romantism and the common color of lack is black. But, from green (aromantism), to take something closer to black we have to remove (colors), while to take demiromantism we have to add (a type of romance). So, since the proccess is not symmetrical, it doesn't make logical sense to me. It seems that, instead of the color to symbolize something general from the whole feelings world, we have restricted to the house of one type of romantic attraction (a small subject of the world). Since the house lacks of resident, it's black. But, with similar restriction(s), any other meaning could be represented with black· why are we allowed to restrict just in the case of demiromantics? What do you think?
  2. WTFromantic - I guess because they lack identify-with/distinguish romantism and black is the common color of the unknown/hidden?

On 4/16/2016 at 5:00 AM, Dodecahedron314 said:

To be honest, just visually speaking I do have a slight preference for the last one, BUT it also has 2 problems:

1. The other colors have more symbolism behind them

2. It looks very similar to the agender flag, really only differing by number of stripes...which, as an agender aro, I find to be something of a problem.

1: that's the point.

2: Good point, but maybe that's kind of a good thing; then a-identity flags look similiar?? (Other than the green, the ace flag fits in this too then.)  

• 2 months later...
On 7/4/2016 at 5:00 AM, Almagest said:

WHITE possible meanings:

1. Aromantics together with their Romantic Allies - Because all the colors together make white. Also, white is the common color of peace.

idk where I heard it, but I've seen white associated with plutonic attraction.

• 5 months later...

I kind of like the white grey black (+ green for Aro) flag as the lack of colour is like lack of romo attraction, similar to the Asexual flag being white grey black (+ purple for Ace). I don't really get why the other colours are necessary?

• 2 weeks later...

I personally like the one that has dark green, light green, yellow, grey, black because I think its pretty and the Yellow means platonic. I also like it because the one with white instead of yellow looks a lot like the agender flag imo but also like that one.  I absolutelty HATE the one with orange though. Its so aesthetically unappealing and its a bit of an eye strain. I think people should use whatever flag they want to though.  (also, did you know that the one with orange is actually the first ever aromantic flag designed? As well as the bottom flag being the most recent design. Im not sure when the other two where designed)

• 2 months later...
On 12/07/2016 at 11:22 AM, iridescent-apatosaurus said:

2: Good point, but maybe that's kind of a good thing; then a-identity flags look similiar?? (Other than the green, the ace flag fits in this too then.)  

yes. this. 

I like that the a-spectrum of everything has a similar kind of look. I think it is the (white) gray and black. The stripes all go the same way too. I love green so I preffer the green-green-white flag.

Archived