I've never been good at putting it into words...

Cygnid

Hello! It's nice to meet you. Please call my Cyg. I am aromantic and heterosexual.

I love my friends and family (and pets!) with a passion, but for the life of me, I could not make romantic relationships work. Honestly, it was confusing and frustrating. There were times I felt like a stranger to the people in my life. I always had a hard time expressing how I felt when friendship threatened to turn into something different. I was afraid to reject someone, but there was absolutely no way I was going to put myself in a situation where I felt uncomfortable. Even a compliment from someone whose intentions I didn't understand made me feel uneasy. I ended up pushing people away when they didn't immediately understand that I simply wanted to be their friend.

Just last year I came to the realization that I am aromantic. When I told my closest friend, her response was, "you just now figured this out?" (love her :') <3) Which was stronger evidence to convince me than any of the conclusions I came to on my own.

Over the past few months, I've slowly come to terms with identifying as such. Every time I read a post on the /aromantic subreddit, I can't help but heartily agree. Now, my own actions and reactions to relationships in the past make so much sense. However, I still struggle with explaining aromanticism to my friends (I'll worry about the fam later), and sometimes the fear of not knowing how someone will react keeps me from comfortably talking about myself & why I don't date. It's something I need to work on. I wanted to join another community to meet other people who identify as aro/ace. I don't really know anyone in my life that openly identifies as aro or ace, and I'd like to change that and maybe make some new friends! 

Tl;Dr: I'm Cyg and I'm aro. Hi.

Hi Cyg! Welcome :D This is such a lovely story; I'm really glad that you were able to find a label that fit and explained some of those feelings that were stressing you out. Have some aro ice cream and hang out with us: :aroicecream:

13 hours ago, running.tally said:

Have some aro ice cream and hang out with us: :aroicecream:

Hello and thank you! I would love some aro ice cream!

11 hours ago, Spirit of God said:

@Cygnid Hi Cyg! Welcome to Arocalypse!

Thank you!

oh look, it's me.  ?  welcome.  when i told my close friend she smiled and said "that makes sense!"  she'd suspected i was queer and been trying to figure it out, but not being super familiar with aromanticism, her best guess was bisexual ("i knew you were sexually attracted to guys...").  my parents and several other friends know, too.  in the 3+ years i've known, i've become more comfortable, happier, and more open about it, and i'm sure you will, too.  that being said, don't feel like you have to tell everyone.  sometimes it gets tiring to explain it, and of course not everyone will take it very well.  it's totally up to you.

Archived