lostspaceace

my parents think i am in denial

so my parents want me to find someone or ask me if i like anyone you know i  have told them that i don't like anyone and that  i would rather be alone (im aroace btw) so every time i tell them that i don't want to date anyone (because i have never felt romantic attraction) and my parents said that i was in denial and that i will find the right person eventually. i don't know this kinda just makes me feel a little upset you know and i just needed to say how i feel. i have not come out to them yet either so you know. Anyways has anyone else had a experience like this.

• Like 1

I would recommend telling them what you are because I think it will be easier for them to accept something they have a name for and can read about online. It still took some people a while to accept that as who I really was, I think mainly because I had tried to find a romantic partner before I knew my own identity because of the messages society had sent me saying I was "supposed to" do that. Still, many people who were trying to support me went from seeing my not wanting to date as an extreme decision I had made because of rejection to understanding that romantic relationships weren't for me once they had a name for how I felt. And unless your parents can invent a device that accurately identifies everything a person is feeling somehow, they don't have the proper authority to accurately tell you how you feel, so maybe it would be a good idea to point that out to them. These are just my suggestions. Some people believe so strongly in the idea that romantic love and the desire for a romantic relationship is universal among all humans (amatonormativity) that it's really hard to convince them that anything contradictory to that is true.

• Like 2

That sucks. are they understanding people? if they are, then maybe introduce them to the idea of aro/ace people, not necessarily coming out to them yet. Depending on their reaction, you could go from there.

• Like 1