my parents think i am in denial

lostspaceace

so my parents want me to find someone or ask me if i like anyone you know i  have told them that i don't like anyone and that  i would rather be alone (im aroace btw) so every time i tell them that i don't want to date anyone (because i have never felt romantic attraction) and my parents said that i was in denial and that i will find the right person eventually. i don't know this kinda just makes me feel a little upset you know and i just needed to say how i feel. i have not come out to them yet either so you know. Anyways has anyone else had a experience like this.

I would recommend telling them what you are because I think it will be easier for them to accept something they have a name for and can read about online. It still took some people a while to accept that as who I really was, I think mainly because I had tried to find a romantic partner before I knew my own identity because of the messages society had sent me saying I was "supposed to" do that. Still, many people who were trying to support me went from seeing my not wanting to date as an extreme decision I had made because of rejection to understanding that romantic relationships weren't for me once they had a name for how I felt. And unless your parents can invent a device that accurately identifies everything a person is feeling somehow, they don't have the proper authority to accurately tell you how you feel, so maybe it would be a good idea to point that out to them. These are just my suggestions. Some people believe so strongly in the idea that romantic love and the desire for a romantic relationship is universal among all humans (amatonormativity) that it's really hard to convince them that anything contradictory to that is true.

That sucks. are they understanding people? if they are, then maybe introduce them to the idea of aro/ace people, not necessarily coming out to them yet. Depending on their reaction, you could go from there.

Archived