assumption of aromanticness because of asexuality

justsp.ace

Of the few people I have come out to as ace  (I’m aro ace) everyone always assumes I’m aro. They’re not wrong and it feels kind of petty for me to correct them even though they’re probably right. It just rubs me the wrong way and I don’t want to misrepresent the ace community or spread the idea that all ace people have to be aro also. I’m just not quite sure what to do.

I feel you : I'm aro ace too.

One solution is to came out as aro instead of ace. As people are less aware of aromanticism, they may ask what you mean, and it's easier too start a discussion about it, explaining why aro and ace can be different things.

I always add some brief explanation when I come out as Ace. Like, I'm Aro-Ace but not all Aces are Aro and there are some Aces who want to have relationship and feel romantic feelings etc. Usually it makes sense to most of people.

On 6/17/2018 at 5:40 AM, justsp.ace said:

Of the few people I have come out to as ace  (I’m aro ace) everyone always assumes I’m aro. They’re not wrong and it feels kind of petty for me to correct them even though they’re probably right. It just rubs me the wrong way and I don’t want to misrepresent the ace community or spread the idea that all ace people have to be aro also.

IIRC countering this mis-assumption was a major reason for AVEN coming into being.

If anything it's a bigger problem that aro tends be assumed as implying also ace. 

I have the opposite problem. I'm allo aro, and everyone just assumes that because I'm aro, I must also be ace. I have to say I'm bisexual like 3 times before anyone ever gets it through their heads. :/

I used to be of this sort of mind when I first started identifying as ace (because I am) but I also knew just saying I was ace wasn't enough to describe what I was feeling and that's how I discovered aromanticism. It's also important to me that people don't assume I'm ace because I'm aro and vice versa.

6 hours ago, Cee Fox said:

It's also important to me that people don't assume I'm ace because I'm aro and vice versa.

Yes for some reason it's important to me too. It doesn't hurt me in any way but I guess it's that almost responsibility to explain the split attraction model and not create misconceptions that makes it really important that I explain. 

Archived