Labels in the future

Holmbo

The other day I was thinking about this movement of aro and ace and other LGBT+ and where it might lead. What do you think is the idealized future of this? Is it one where everyone is familiar with every label and category regarding gender sex and romance etc and use it in their everyday life? Or is it one where most people don't know the details but rather just make less assumptions? 

Hopefully it will just be less assumptions. I think new, more specific labels will keep appearing so it would be a bit ridiculous to think that everyone will keep up with all the labels and groups will agree on fixed definitions for those labels. But I hope that if the general population gets into their head the spectrum system and the split attraction system then explaining things will be so much easier. Simply not having to be really open with your own personal preferences when trying to explain your orientation would be nice, for example saying you are 'more towards the Asexual in every attraction except platonic and sensual' and that being basically understood. 

I'm hoping the general public can know something about our labels so that people who may be on our spectrum can label themselves more easily. I'm mainly hoping to let them know aromantic is a thing and that it's a spectrum, and that will give people who may be on the spectrum enough information that they know what to Google to find more specific information.

Great thread!

An ideal future in my view would be much like everyone's said above. I would also hope that there would be more communication, and peiple would know what to ask. For example, when introducing yourself it might be common practice to include "My pronouns are X." Perhaps amatonormativity would be abolished. In everyday relationships, if someone perceives someone else to be flirting, they might make explicit mention to it somehow so the person can clarify their intentions in an easy quick exchange. Things like that. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like it if people would just not make assumptions. Like two friends of any gender combination can be hanging out or shopping together, and nobody will even think to question the nature of their relationship. Because it's none of their business anyway.

And I'd like it if gender-specific words would just not exist at all, and we'd just use neutral ones instead.

It'd also be great if friendship was valued more in general, marriage wasn't really a "thing" anymore, and if you wanted to live together with friends in a house, or move to another country with two (or more) friends, that'd be possible. The concept of "family" should be extended, or just done away with entirely. Yeah, my ideas will piss a lot of people off, but I don't care, hahaha.

Archived