The Expanse tv show

Holmbo

13 hours ago, arokaladin said:

I haven't heard of that! What's it about?

It's a sci-fi series that takes place 200 years into the future, where humans have colonized the solar system. Some humans live on Mars and some out in the astroid belt. And Earth is one nation led by the UN. Mars and Earth are kinda in a cold war situation, and they own different part of the astroid belt. When the story starts we follow a crew working on an space ice-freighter, a cop on an astroid looking for a missing woman and some people in the UN trying to figure out a terrorist threat from the belt. The show is based on a book series (which I haven't read but probably will once the show is finished, or before that if I get too impatient) so the worlds building is very rich. And the cast is very diverse which is always a big plus for me.

It's quite aro-friendly I think. There's some romance but also many other types of intense relationships.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The last episode reminded me of Kim Jong-un, though. :/

I so hope “The Expanse” does not get cancelled. The ratings (I know ratings are outdated, but still) aren't that good. Roughly the same as “Dark Matter”1, which got cancelled. But the show is – by all indications – far more expensive than “Dark Matter”. If that happens, at least I can read the books for the conclusion.

1 as cheesy, silly and full of hackneyed Sci-Fi-tropes as it was, I still liked it. :P

• Like 1

Yes I hope they keep going for all seasons. Maybe they get good money from selling the rights to Netflix ? Or just keeps it going to get back some reputation after all those sharknado movies. It's critically acclaimed after all, which doesn't sound like Dark matter was. 

• Haha 1

On 5/9/2018 at 9:36 PM, Holmbo said:

Or just keeps it going to get back some reputation after all those sharknado movies. It's critically acclaimed after all, which doesn't sound like Dark matter was. 

Yeah, Dark Matter didn't achieve critical acclaim… to put it mildly. 58% critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Ouch! xD

It would be an exaggeration to call Dark Matter a Sci-Fi-Sharknado … but it still sometimes managed reach its “brazenness”:

• S03E04 “All the Time in the World” ––––> like Groundhog Day in space?? COME ON!!
  • S03E09 “Isn't That A Paradox?” ––––> oooh nooooo…… brazenly cheesy. Just a look at the trivia section of imbd says it all:

The Android mentions that in the 21st century, American football was as popular as Quidditch, implying that the fictional Harry Potter game had become a legitimate sport in the future.

:eyebrow:

What's bad for The Expanse is that AFAIK it isn't a SyFy original series, too, it's produced by Alcon.

11 hours ago, Holmbo said:

This latest episode was amazing! S3 ep5

The plot just kept escalating and every time I thought it had reach the peak a new crazy flip happened.

Yeah, I second this!! It's either the best episode or is only surpassed by S02E05 “Home”.

Did you know the next but one episode is named after me: S03E07 “Delta-V”?

PS: gonna push this thread up for advertising ;)

• Like 1

@Holmbo Since SyFy has now announced to cancel The Expanse after the 3rd season :(:( what do you think the chances are for it to survive (like bought by Amazon etc.)?

They announced it some 12 hours or so before I wrote the post above. Though I always expected the cancellation, I didn't at all expect it to be announced at this time, so I was out of the loop for some days! (embarrassing…)

On 5/17/2018 at 1:01 AM, DeltaV said:

@Holmbo Since SyFy has now announced to cancel The Expanse after the 3rd season :(:( what do you think the chances are for it to survive (like bought by Amazon etc.)?

They announced it some 12 hours or so before I wrote the post above. Though I always expected the cancellation, I didn't at all expect it to be announced at this time, so I was out of the loop for some days! (embarrassing…)

Yes bad timing for my hype ?

The show is produced by another company, Alcon. And they say they've been shopping it to other buyers. Also SYFY has made a statement that they might reconsider the drop. If viewings pick up this season. So I don't think all hope is lost. Everyone should tune in on SYFY if they have it or DVR and/or watch it within 24 hours (I think it was) because that's way SYFY counts is viewership. You can also stream the show on Amazon Prime. I'm not from the US but I managed to buy it anyway uploading money to a gift card rather than paying directly with my credit card. It's important to really up the numbers if this show is to survive.

The (thin) silver lining to this cloud is that we're getting a lot of really cool fan material to try to save the show.
Like this video (no spoilers on it)

Or this fan trailer (spoilers galore up to mid season three)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Holmbo said:

Yes bad timing for my hype ?

Well, maybe exactly the right timing. ?

When did you hear from it?

1 hour ago, Holmbo said:

The show is produced by another company, Alcon.

Though it likely wouldn't have been cancelled if it was a SyFy original series.

By the way… what Sci-Fi is actually still left on SyFy? Killjoys… and…?

1 hour ago, Holmbo said:

I'm not from the US but I managed to buy it anyway uploading money to a gift card rather than paying directly with my credit card. It's important to really up the numbers if this show is to survive.

Yeah, the hoops you have to jump through to watch it outside the US without long delay approaches typical alloromantic behavior levels (okay …… that's some serious loosening of association).

1 hour ago, Holmbo said:

The (thin) silver lining to this cloud is that we're getting a lot of really cool fan material to try to save the show.
Like this video (no spoilers on it)

Or this fan trailer (spoilers galore up to mid season three)

yeah!

• Like 1

I love this show so much, but somehow nobody I know seems to be watching it! Chrisjen is my favourite character by a million miles, but I'm also a big fan of Bobbie and of Amos. Crossing my fingers hard that it'll get picked up for renewal by someone else, otherwise I'm definitely going to have to look into getting the books!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, eatingcroutons said:

I love this show so much, but somehow nobody I know seems to be watching it! Chrisjen is my favourite character by a million miles, but I'm also a big fan of Bobbie and of Amos. Crossing my fingers hard that it'll get picked up for renewal by someone else, otherwise I'm definitely going to have to look into getting the books!

No one I know watches it either. I would love it if I could watch every episode together with friends and talk about it with them.

Last year me and my friend were talking about tv-series and she said she really enjoyed the recent Star Trek series and I then in turn talked about the Expanse. We agreed to each watch each others series. The result... neither of us liked it at all. I though the Star Trek one was so stupid and she thought the Expanse was really boring. But last night I tried introducing another friend. I started at ep 4 of season 1, thinking that maybe it would be more capturing to jump right into the best action. He seemed to be interested to keep going with it. Hopefully I'm not leading him into a dead end :D

• Like 1

It was certainly difficult to get into the first two or three episodes:

• few action
  • Miller's dorky hat ?
  • the Belter Creole, sasa ke?
  • characters aren't that likeable at first
  • lots of not-that-interesting world building
8 hours ago, Holmbo said:

I though the Star Trek one was so stupid and she thought the Expanse was really boring.

I don't think that Star Trek: Discovery is stupid nor The Expanse boring, but when I watched them in parallel, I always got a slight feeling in this direction for both. ?

Of course, no Star Trek series is remotely that “hard Sci-Fi” as The Expanse, but Discovery is considerably “softer” than the earlier Star Trek series. The mirror universe was reserved for more experimental and funny episodes in the past and didn't play such an important role. The softening of Sci-Fi seems to be a modern trend… which would explain the lack of appeal for The Expanse.

On 5/19/2018 at 5:43 PM, eatingcroutons said:

Chrisjen is my favourite character by a million miles, but I'm also a big fan of Bobbie and of Amos.

Yeah, swearing Chrisjen!

It's renewed for season four by Amazon! :D:rofl:xD

On 5/24/2018 at 8:58 PM, eatingcroutons said:

Sooooo after this week's episode... 

CHRISJEN FOR SECRETARY GENERAL Y/Y

Is that what she is now? It wasn't clear to me. She did seem like she was in charge but is it temporary or has there been an election. (imagine a world election, what a mess) I'm not sure how I feel about it in that case. Love the character but she does seem to be playing fast and loose with human rights when it suits her. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2018 at 8:51 AM, Holmbo said:

It's renewed for season four by Amazon! :D:rofl:xD

Is that what she is now? It wasn't clear to me. She did seem like she was in charge but is it temporary or has there been an election. (imagine a world election, what a mess) I'm not sure how I feel about it in that case. Love the character but she does seem to be playing fast and loose with human rights when it suits her. 

I definitely don't think she's officially been elected, but I love seeing her in charge. My favourite scheming Machiavellian genius, who might now be able to actually Get Shit Done about the protomolecule problem ❤️

SO GLAD TO HEAR IT GOT RENEWED!!! Thank you evil capitalist overlords.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

And .... now it's ended. A year or so to the next one. Great ending!

And since this is an aro forum after all, I'll add the observation that there's so little romance on this show. So much character interactions and relationships, so many prominent female characters and even so, only one couple this whole season. Not even any will-they-wont-they tension between anyone. (Though the fandom is certainly thick with shipping).

• Like 1

On 6/28/2018 at 8:09 PM, Holmbo said:

And since this is an aro forum after all, I'll add the observation that there's so little romance on this show.

Romance issues in The Expanse:

James (trying to conjure up the invisible ‘Miller’): “Now I need you, Miller. If you're ever coming back, this would be a good time.”

Camina (to Naomi): “I still don't understand what you see in him.”

James: “Come on, Miller, talk to me.”

xDxDxD

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The show is finally coming back at long last!

To celebrate I decided to make a video of my favorite (friend) ship of the show. It's not totally done yet cause I can't think of any more appropriate clips to fit with the song. I tried to use the fight with the martians but it wasn't the right tone :D

4 hours ago, eatingcroutons said:

???

I've been reading the books in the meantime and they're really fantastic - definitely worth picking up if you enjoy the show! 

I've read the first three after season three ended. But I don't want to read any more for now cause I like being unspoiled for a change.

• 1 month later...

What did y'all think of the latest season? For me it was my least favorite, but that might change upon rewatch. Maybe once the next season is out I'll go back and see foreshadowing and introduced characters introduced this season.