You might be aro if...

Robin

YMBAI when you asked someone what it's like to be in love (because you need to UNDERSTAND what's the freakin' fuss about it, godammit !), and when most of their answer are cliché such as ''your chest feel funny and your heartbeat is increasing when you see them" the "you're thinking about them all the time" or"you can't sleep sometimes because you always think about them and what it could be to be with them" etc.... and of course your only valuable answer is to stare them right in the eyes for some time and say "Damn, that sound painful, bro"

YMBAI when someone told you that he/she have a crush on you and all you can do is to say bad puns about having a crush and ''being crushed to death",  hoping that the person will understand. If not, run. 

• Like 12
  • Haha 6

• 3 weeks later...

YMBAI 

if the phrase "to be with someone" has always sounded weird and stupid because it doesn't mean anything you can relate to.

Seriously though, the English-speaking people of the world couldn't think of something more descriptive than "be with!?"

Of course I understand that "to be with" is a euphemism (because such romantic feelings apparently display emotional weakness and even some allos are embarrassed by them), but that doesn't make the term any less bizarre. It says literally nothing about what someone actually does in someone else's company. It's purposefully nondescript so as to avoid making people describe what they feel and thus open themselves up to others. Even though the term still implies that they will do so. Humans are weird.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

On 19/08/2017 at 1:09 PM, Apathetic Echidna said:

If I was going to comment or agree I would be quoting more than half of this thread!

LOL!

YMBAI you can't tell the difference between 'appropriate' love and 'inappropriate' love in songs. creeper, stalker, rapey, sweet, unrequited, and mutual love duets all sound the same.

Or you can't tell the difference between 'romantic' and 'creepy' in a book, movie, play or TV drama.

YMBAI you meet someone and think you have found an instant good friend then freak out when they try to kiss you, then they complain about sending mixed messages. When all you thought you were doing was being friendly.

Or they freak out if you try to touch them (never mind kiss them) because they "don't do that with friends".

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

YMBAI your mind says 'again?' in a slightly horrified voiceover voice when a recently heartbroken friend talks about their new 'love' 

(even more so) YMBAI your inner voiceover voice is stunned to silence when other people congratulate the aforementioned friend with comments like 'this will help you heal' 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

• 1 month later...
On 19/08/2017 at 2:09 PM, Apathetic Echidna said:

YMBAI you meet someone and think you have found an instant good friend then freak out when they try to kiss you, then they complain about sending mixed messages. When all you thought you were doing was being friendly. 

YES !!! YES TO THAT ! Give that woman a cookie !

It's unnerving how people think that  'being nice at someone' is often linked as ' being sexually/romantically interested at that person'. Like, no ? Dude ? I'm just a respectful human being, of course, I'd be nice at you ! Or do you want me to always wear a shirt saying "No Romo, bro "

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/11/2017 at 12:23 PM, Apathetic Echidna said:

YMBAI you cannot, due to lack of motivation or finesse, write romance in a story setting. 

Oh my, yes. How many times did I wrote an awesome story with awesome characters, and then when I need a couple to interact, I go "uuuuuuuuuuuhhhh sooooo they...kiss I guess...??"
I stopped writing one of my best works because of it. :'(

• Like 3

YMBAI you feel nothing but relief (and guilt at being relieved) when you end a romantic-type relationship. And don't feel anything but happiness for them when an ex tells you about someone they're currently dating. (Also, having to reassure said ex more than once that you're fine hearing about it, and no, it's not weird.)  

• Like 12

On 05/12/2017 at 9:49 AM, Zorcodtoa said:

YMBAI you don't need to witness other (romantic) relationships going to hell or others suffering to feel like you're aromantic.

or you see the beginning of someone's infatuated romantic relationship as their lives going to hell 

(I am feeling particularly prickly right now so all things are extremely jaded)

• Like 6

so......this is a little thing I have discovered via these forums, the discord, AVEN and Reddit......

...so you might be aro if you delay getting your driver's licence. Maybe some of us don't see the point because we don't have weird attractions to people who live in awkwardly distant places? though it might be more of an ace-spectrum thing - I do know a person who specifically got a car at the earliest point possible to have somewhere away from parents to have sex. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Apathetic Echidna said:

...so you might be aro if you delay getting your driver's licence. Maybe some of us don't see the point because we don't have weird attractions to people who live in awkwardly distant places?

Romantic love causes global warming!

I have a driver's license, yeah. :aropride: So I'm slightly less aloof than Dr. NullVector. But I too delayed it! Never owned a car, though.

I wonder how much can you impress your date if you use a car like this?

With “Car Sharing” (or maybe some especially stupid “sassy” variation of that) written on it in gigantic letters… and also so many car sharing companies impose a zero BAC limit. There are some serious consequences, some even might permanently ban you, if you violate zero BAC. O.o Bad for dating.

PS: is image embedding broken? It doesn't seem to work anymore… :|

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 6/1/2017 at 5:19 AM, Raptor said:

YMBAI you just don't understand why it is so great to wear other person's hoodie. It propably has that other person's sweat in it! Yick!

Women always talk about how men's hoodies have deep pockets and are so big and warm and comfortable... do they realize they can just go out and BUY men's hoodies? They don't have to steal them?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Costati said:

YMBAI when someone ask you for romantic advices your first instinct is to answer "But why don't you dump them and find someone new" (It's not really that complicated peoooooole)

Or to consider the myriad of often ignored non romantic relationship possibilities.and/or romance without slavishly following the "relationship escalator". 

• Like 1