Aromantic culture is...

Tay

Hey! i'm new to this forum and i'm hella happy i found it, it's a goldmine and seeing other people going through the same struggles or feelings as you are is one of the most comforting things. I've been brainstorming a couple of these and i wanted to share them lol, feel free to add more!! also if you feel like you don't relate to some maybe it's because i may have made them a bit specific and based on my personal experiences 9_9

• Aromantic culture is getting happy when your ex that you cared about but weren't able to love in a romantic way (and hurt them in the process without meaning to) is finally in a loving relationship
  • Aro culture is feeling like an alien because "who wouldn't want romantic love???????"
  • Aro culture is getting frustrated for not understanding yourself
  • Aro culture is having to look for excuses as to why you don't want anything with anyone instead of wasting your time explaining what aromanticism is to someone who doesn't really care and wouldn't try to understand
  • Aro culture is feeling more alone than the rest of the lgbt+ community because it's still an unknown term and tbh not many people feel this way 
  • Aro culture is leaving the conversation the second people start talking about crushes or relationships bc honestly you don't get it and it. is. so. exhausting.
  • Aro culture is making yourself have "crushes" to fit in
  • Aro culture is having OTPs and loving their love but not having any desire of that for yourself

10 hours ago, Tay said:
  • Aro culture is having to look for excuses as to why you don't want anything with anyone instead of wasting your time explaining what aromanticism is to someone who doesn't really care and wouldn't try to understand

There's a difference between not wanting anything and not wanting anything romantic.

8 hours ago, Zorcodtoa said:

Have you tried the AVEN chatroom? It made me want to leave more often than not and that's without people talking about crushes or relationships.

AVEN is a site for asexuals.
Primarily allo aces who want to show their commonality with other alloromantics. So can't see it offering much even to aro aces.

Developing an overly logical view on relationships such as:

-"Why do people get so upset over breakups? It's not like it was going to last forever."

-"So he has a handsome face. It's not like I'm going to spend all day thinking about it."

-"You're eight years old. Why are coming up with the names of the children you're going to have with this boy?"

Lol.

On 3/26/2018 at 11:18 PM, Zorcodtoa said:

Trust me, it wasn't the talk about romance or even sexuality that put me off.

I agree, when it came to figuring out my sexuality and romantic orientation, AVEN was great. Then it became problematic in the case that too many alloromantic aces kept having an extra say in how and what romance should mean to aromantics and anyone on the aro spectrum. Just, please leave and stop complaining about how we keep talking down romance. WE AROMANTIC WHAT WERE YOU EXPECTING!!!

Aro culture is getting anxiety of wanting to get to know someone because you feel it maybe a ‘crush’ 

aro culture is an alloromantic feeling you ‘lead them on’ when you thought you were being friendly

aro culture is not being able to  that someone is hitting on you

• 2 weeks later...

using euphemistic language like "i'm not really into dating," when you're not up for the often long, interrogative coming out ordeal

(sometimes that still arouses suspicion and it becomes easier to come out than to keep dodging around)

Aromantic culture is looking back at all of those times you weren't really into romance and them finally making sense to you

Aromantic culture is being called dense because the people who you thought were just being really nice to you actually liked you

Aromantic culture is realising that all your past "crushes" were actually squishes

Aromantic culture is not realising that you were aromantic for a long time because you couldn't tell the difference between the various kinds of attractions

Archived