What makes you feel romance repulsed?

Cassiopeia

Are there certain forms of romantic content that make you cringe you less?

Does it fluctuate?

Like on some days, I can put up with some stuff, but on others, I just can't. Its strange.

With music, I don't mind it at all, as 95% of the songs are about love, and I have just learned to tune it out and not to listen to the lyrics.

Books are mostly okay-ish.

Romantic movies are an absolute nope.

• Like 11

I wouldn't consider myself romance repulsed in general.  Romance in media doesn't bother me, and depending on the context I can even enjoy it.  But real life is a different story. Even though I'm not repulsed, I don't like it at all.  I get a sort of keep-your-romance-to-yourself-please attitude if I have to bear witness to anyone being couple-y or talking a lot about their dating lives.  ¬¬

• Like 8

For me it fluctuates between romance positive, neutral and repulsed. Usually the trigger is too much physical contact. like if someone cuddles too much or they like to hold hands.  For some reason hand holding squicks me out.  I don't like seeing PDA, though usually what repulses me is when it happens in fiction.  In real life I feel more neutral about it.  Honestly I'm not sure why I'm not more romance repulsed, sometimes my romance positivity surprises me lol.

• Like 5

anything that involds a person having romantic feelings for me, or me thinking they do makes me romantic repulsive.

other people being very lovy dovie does also somethimes make me repulsive but it all depends.

media depends. I usunally dont have a problem with music but book and movies all depends.

• Like 5

IRL stuff generally tends to trigger it more than in media, especially PDA--the closer the people are to my vicinity, the worse. (Especially if I hear kissing noises, that's just an immediate OH GOD WHY ALL THE NOPE) Media isn't usually so bad in small doses and if it's done tastefully so that it's not the main focus of whatever it is or it can be interpreted platonically, but if I'm exposed to a lot of it over time the cumulative effect can make me feel really terrible and broken. 

• Like 8

I used to absolutely hate romance when i was younger. Now I just sort of don't care. Although to be fair I am generally pretty oblivious to it so it's hard to hate something if you don't know it's there. I still think a lot of things that are solely centred on romance are just pointless and stupid and i don't get how people can like it, there's no substance.

• Like 7

I'm pretty much okay with romance in fiction (because that's what romantic love is to me - fiction) but as soon as I see people kissing each other in real life or hear others talk about love I feel sick

• Like 10

Mine fluctuates. Usually in songs I can stand it because I turn it to more platonic and most songs are about something romantic anyway so I can't listen to much music without romance. In books it's a little bad. I usually skim over the romance stuff.

In movies and TV it's really hard. I always find myself repulsed when things get too deep into it. If it's just a quick kiss or something like that I'm okay, but when it's only the couple on the screen and it gets romantic af I start to tune out because I just can't. I can't.

irl I can stand some things? Like, kissing is fine. I interpret kissing as more of a sexual thing than a romantic thing and it doesn't bother me as much. When couples start holding hands and getting all...eh, and doing that thing where one of their face is on the other's neck (What's that thing about? It's so weird...), I start getting really uncomfortable and I leaveee

Sometimes my friends talk to me about their romantic things and I just...ew stahp. I just don't like it.

And my parents sometimes do romantic things and that bothers me as well. I usually leave the room. Once and a while I say "ew" or "please stop" and they just laugh and say that someday I'll feel differently. I'm 15, when will that day come? Everyone I know is doing the relationship thing already.

And last, when it's directed at me. I was in a relationship a little while ago (that's how I figured out I was aromantic) and I would have anxiety attacks before dates and I'd tense up whenever my ex was around me. I barely said a word and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me, but it was just me not liking romance.

• Like 7

I'm usually fine with it, you do you, but when it gets to ridiculous levels I just have to go. Like when they are a new couple and they're constantly holding hands and glancing at each other really gets on my nerves, or when the girl just sits on the guys lap and they're cuddling and murmuring to each other just STOP. I look away when people kiss as well, it jsut seems strange to watch.

• Like 5

I'm not entirely sure if I have some repulsion towards romance itself, or other peoples attitude and emphasis towards romance being important. Seeing romantic scenes in tv shows and movies bores the crap out of me. People insinuating that romance would be a good thing for me because they themselves are romantic shits me off.

That being said, I have had "crushes" before, but even then, I never felt inclined to actually pursue anything. Romance and relationships don't really mean anything to me. There's been plenty of times lately where I've even questioned if those crushes were completely romantic, or just semi romantic. Sure, I was feeling something directed at a particular person, but sometimes, I'm not sure what I was feeling towards them, although that's usually when I'm not crushing and I'm trying to reflect back on them.

• Like 3

I'm a little grossed out by kissing/making out, even on TV, and definitely in real life. I think I realized just how much I was when I saw a couple in my school's hallway up against a locker and being super lovey-dovey. They weren't even kissing, but I still thought it was gross.

I don't care what people want to do as long as they do it in the privacy of their homes! I think it's fine to hold hands and stuff in public, but when they start making out in the middle of the street, I want to barf.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, 46odnetnin said:

I'm usually fine with it, you do you, but when it gets to ridiculous levels I just have to go. Like when they are a new couple and they're constantly holding hands and glancing at each other really gets on my nerves, or when the girl just sits on the guys lap and they're cuddling and murmuring to each other just STOP. I look away when people kiss as well, it jsut seems strange to watch.

To be fair, sittinf on someone's lap doesn't necessarily imply romantic attraction, my QPP does that to me all the time, monpolizes my arm, etc. Of course, that meant that in high school, everyonr mistook us for a couple (a lesbian one at that, which is doubly absurd because neither of us are female or allo), so I certainly won't deny that the implication of romance is a common one, it's jist that it's not necessarily universally applicable. I can certainly see why that sort of thing woild set you off though, it's completely understandable. (Sorry for the typos, the mobile site hates my phone and makes it so i can't edit what I've typed whenevr I'm making a post that includes a quote >.< )

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

To be fair, sittinf on someone's lap doesn't necessarily imply romantic attraction, my QPP does that to me all the time, monpolizes my arm, etc. Of course, that meant that in high school, everyonr mistook us for a couple (a lesbian one at that, which is doubly absurd because neither of us are female or allo), so I certainly won't deny that the implication of romance is a common one, it's jist that it's not necessarily universally applicable. I can certainly see why that sort of thing woild set you off though, it's completely understandable. (Sorry for the typos, the mobile site hates my phone and makes it so i can't edit what I've typed whenevr I'm making a post that includes a quote >.< )

You're right, my bad :$. Just when I was writing it I was thinking of a time when it was me and 1 other friend in a group of 8 who were single and all the couples had the girl on the guy's lap and were snuggling and kissing while we tried to have a conversation with everyone. It was so awkward. I think the knowledge that it was romantic also contributes to being kinda repulsed.

• Like 1

im ok with like... physical stuff [edit: physical stuff involving me and in a private setting] but anything verbally expressed about romance makes me feel physically sick. the exception is music - probably because with music its not focused solely on the words/content of the song, more about the beat & tune. i cant read romance novels or watch romantic movies.

also like irl pda squicks me out so bad i hate hate hate watching people kiss in public or get clingy and feelsy it just makes me so uncomfortable and i cant be around people who do that

• Like 2

Like a few others, I'm mostly okay with what other people do as long as it doesn't get too intense, but as soon as I'm involved I become immediately replused.  And I will be repulsed by almost anything romantic- whether it be flirting, goinging on dates, kissing, whatever.  When I was in a romantic relationship, just the classification that my ex was a romantic partner was enough to make me repulsed by anything that I did with him, no matter how innocent.

• Like 7

On 4/9/2016 at 3:33 PM, Spud said:

I'm a little grossed out by kissing/making out, even on TV, and definitely in real life. I think I realized just how much I was when I saw a couple in my school's hallway up against a locker and being super lovey-dovey. They weren't even kissing, but I still thought it was gross.

I don't care what people want to do as long as they do it in the privacy of their homes! I think it's fine to hold hands and stuff in public, but when they start making out in the middle of the street, I want to barf.

tbh????? im so glad im graduating high school so i dont have to shove past that one couple that took it upon themselves to make out passionately right in front of my locker every single day >.<

• Like 6

On 4/10/2016 at 7:18 PM, peridotty said:

tbh????? im so glad im graduating high school so i dont have to shove past that one couple that took it upon themselves to make out passionately right in front of my locker every single day >.<

Gahhh! Now I feel more grateful that they don't make out in front of my locker-- the most annoying thing people do is spray Axe a bunch and I have to smell it while trying to get my books.

• Like 5

Generally I'm not repulsed. I'm a bit bored at those scenes in movies/books/etc. but I'm not really bothered by it. I just skip that part (if possible, I obviously can't skip scenes when I'm in the cinema) and that's it. I only get bothered by romance when it's directed towards me. It makes me sick :(

As with most people here, it fluctuates. Usually I'm fine, sometimes I desire it greatly, but other times I'm absolutely repulsed.

I hate cheesy romantic stuff. I have a rather realistic view of romantic relationships. "Happy ever after" fairy tails annoy me.

• Like 1