AROCALYPSE ARO WEEK 2018

HEY EVERYONE so over on the Discord server we've been brainstorming ideas for how we, as the Arocalypse community, can celebrate Aromantic Spectrum Awareness Week (the week after Valentine's Day) by spreading visibility and stuff! So far we've been discussing designing posters/flyers to put up in our local communities if possible.

Here are some other things to do to get involved:

• Make art
  • Make/share posts online (if safe)
  • Teach someone you know about aromanticism (again, if safe)!
  • Show aro pride in whatever way you see fit
  • Call out amatonormativity
  • Promote work by aro artists/writers/musicians

What do you think we, here on the forums or the server and as a community in general, should do to spread awareness and celebrate aro week?

i already do most of those things but i'm ready to take it to the next level.  i'll be wearing my t-shirt with a flag-coloured heart.  i've seen chalk messages on the roads on campus, so i might do some, comprising an educational or fun phrase ('not everyone experiences romantic attraction and that's ok' or 'we get the discounted valentine's day chocolates') followed by 'happy aromantic spectrum awareness week'.

Great minds think alike! I've been designing a poster to go up in my community, and have created an email for people to reach out and get more information. 

I already do most of those things in my day-to-day life, but definitely going to amp it up during aro-awareness week. The chalk messages are a great idea - for those who live in less snowy places! 

If there's enough support in the LGBTQA+ community wherever people live, you could organize a social night to celebrate Aro-Awareness week? Just as a fun gathering for everyone, but with an aro-theme. :)

I don't have any new suggestions myself but I'd like to put up posters in my town. Has anyone made suggestions on design or are we still brainstorming about it? 

I would need to translate mine to Swedish too.

So a while back I pitched this out:

On 1/4/2018 at 6:15 PM, Naegleria fowleri said:

When all the candy goes on discount after Valentine's day buy a bunch of mini Aero bars and hand them out with pamphlets.

Thinking it'd be cool if someone actually did it. Well, I recently joined the pride centre at my university, and they've agreed to help me do this (I just have to make it happen). I'd appreciate it if you guys could critique the pamphlet though. You know, add a little to it to make it more representative of our community as a whole. Here it is:

Spoiler

Aromantic-Spectrum Awareness Week

What Is Aromanticism?

You’re seated across the table from the person who asked you out a few days ago. You’re telling a story, and they’re hanging on your every word. The extended eye contact makes you squirm, and soon you busy yourself with eating. They’re kind, smart, and funny, but almost too much. You wish they would just act normal instead of being so focused on you. They drive you home, and as they idle in your driveway, you feel compelled to say, “That was nice.” They start leaning in, their smooth face coming towards you. You panic, and jump out of the car. “See you at school!”

This is one of many forms aromanticism can take. Aromantics (aros) do not experience romantic attraction. This does not mean we abhore anything to do with romance (although some of us do). It simply means we don’t experience “romantic feelings” such as crushes or romantic love towards any gender. However, romantic feelings are a tricky thing to define. Most of us don’t realize right away, or at all, that we are different from anyone else.

Aromantic vs. Asexual

Many of you have probably heard of asexuality, a sexual orientation shared by those who don’t experience sexual attraction. And since, for most people, sexual and romantic attraction go hand in hand, you might have assumed asexuals also don’t experience romantic attraction. This isn’t always the case.

Someone who is perioriented has their romantic and sexual orientations in alignment. A homoromantic homosexual would be one example. A varioriented person has a romantic orientation that is different from their sexual orientation. You can have heteroromantic bisexuals, aromantic polysexuals, panromantic asexuals, you name it!

The Aromantic Spectrum

Some people don’t fit neatly into alloromantic (experiences full romantic attraction) or aromantic (experiences no romantic attraction) categories. There is a gray area, much like the ace-specturm, called the aromantic spectrum. Here are just a few possibilities:

Grayromantic: Someone who rarely experiences romantic attraction, or does not wish to have a romantic relationship despite feeling romantic attraction.

Cupioromantic: Someone who wishes to be in a romantic relationship, but still does not experience romantic attraction.

Demiromantic: Someone who only experiences romantic attraction after they have formed a strong connection with the person.

Want to Learn More?

Here is a link to Arocalypse, an aromantic forum and a wealth of information from the aromantics themselves.

http://www.arocalypse.com/forums/

Sources

https://wp.wwu.edu/westernaces/terminology/

http://www.arocalypse.com/forums/topic/1135-comprehensive-list-of-romantic-orientations/

Now eat your chocolate bar.

I tried to write it as a message to both allos and aros. I would like allos to feel informed, but not confused or overwhelmed, and aros to have enough of an "aha moment" to come here and investigate. What do you think? You all get the pun, right?

Sure! Let's put a by line on it somewhere though (something like By: Arocalypse user Naegleria fowelri). At the beginning or at the end, doesn't matter. I tried not to plagiarize when I wrote it, and I knew I couldn't guarantee no-one would do it to me when I posted it, but I figure it's the least I can ask for. That being said, feel free to modify it to include your experience. Go forth and educate!

Not sure what I’m doing yet. Every year I make Valentines Day a celebration of family and friends and might have a discussion with peers about how underrated platonic relationships are for aromantic awareness week.

On 2/5/2018 at 9:17 AM, Naegleria fowleri said:

I'd appreciate it if you guys could critique the pamphlet though. You know, add a little to it to make it more representative of our community as a whole.

I'm particularly interested in feedback from aromantic sexuals and those who lie somewhere between romantic and aromantic, as my experience in these areas is limited.

Also there are a couple typos in the pamphlet that I noticed. (It's abhor, not abhore, and spectrum, not specturm).

Thanks guys.

This will be my first Aromantic Awareness Week and I'm really looking forward to spreading awareness about it. I may have gotten a bit over excited and made some awareness art too!

I'm thinking of maybe adding in the definition of Aromantic at the bottom? What do you guys think?

http://s44.photobucket.com/user/maeemily00/media/AROMANTIC AWARENESS WEEK ART_zpszeatu6gd.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I went to the local library teen’s space and drew the aromantic flag and wrote “It’s not just one or the other” since it’s the first day of aro week! I wrote “arocalypse.com” too :aropride:

On 18/02/2018 at 6:53 PM, Szokusia said:

I went to the local library teen’s space and drew the aromantic flag and wrote “It’s not just one or the other” since it’s the first day of aro week! I wrote “arocalypse.com” too :aropride:

I went there again yesterday (for anime club) and a librarian said that he checked this website and it was really nice of me to share it :D

Oh that's really really cool that you all did that. I am really afraid to do anything tho. I just don't know what to do. I'm terrified if I do something even if it's like putting a poster up people will just pass in front of it and scoff at it. Even if I don't see it for myself, that thought terrify me. I guess I'd rather have people not know about aromanticism than know and being openly arophobes and against it :(

When all the candy goes on discount after Valentine's day buy a bunch of mini Aero bars and hand them out with pamphlets.

I recently joined the pride centre at my university, and they've agreed to help me do this (I just have to make it happen).

Welp, I made it happen! A friend and I gave out over forty pamphlets, and we got some great feedback! Many people had no idea this was a thing and were eager to learn. Super stoked! My favourite interactions were with the teachers, since some had never even heard of asexuality. People thanked us for educating them.

42 minutes ago, Costati said:

I guess I'd rather have people not know about aromanticism than know and being openly arophobes and against it :(

Honestly, I think I got one arophobic response out of the at least fifty people I talked to, and that was because she didn't fully understand what I meant. Here's what happened:

Me: People who are aromantic don''t experience romantic attraction, ie, they don't get crushes, they don't fall in love, that sort of thing.

Lady: That sounds like a psychopath!

Me: *Laughs for a good three seconds, jokes "What did you just call me?"*

Me: *Later explains that aromantics do experience love, and that an aromantic person could adopt a child and love it with all their heart. And they can love friends and family, just not romantically.*

Lady: Oh... that makes more sense.

So yeah, I mean the response will be different depending on where you go, but most of the time people who don't like aromanticism just don't understand it. And if you don't have the words to explain it, use mine.

Spoiler

Aromantic-Spectrum Awareness Week

What Is Aromanticism?

You’re seated across the table from the person who asked you out a few days ago. You’re telling a story, and they’re hanging on your every word. The extended eye contact makes you squirm, and soon you busy yourself with eating. They’re kind, smart, and funny, but almost too much. You wish they would just act normal instead of being so focused on you. They drive you home, and as they idle in your driveway, you feel compelled to say, “That was nice.” They start leaning in, their smooth face coming towards you. You panic, and jump out of the car. “See you at school!”

This is one of many forms aromanticism can take. Aromantics (aros) do not experience romantic attraction. This does not mean we abhore anything to do with romance (although some of us do). It simply means we don’t experience “romantic feelings” such as crushes or romantic love towards any gender. However, romantic feelings are a tricky thing to define. Most of us don’t realize right away, or at all, that we are different from anyone else.

Aromantic vs. Asexual

Many of you have probably heard of asexuality, a sexual orientation shared by those who don’t experience sexual attraction. And since, for most people, sexual and romantic attraction go hand in hand, you might have assumed asexuals also don’t experience romantic attraction. This isn’t always the case.

Someone who is perioriented has their romantic and sexual orientations in alignment. A homoromantic homosexual would be one example. A varioriented person has a romantic orientation that is different from their sexual orientation. You can have heteroromantic bisexuals, aromantic polysexuals, panromantic asexuals, you name it!

The Aromantic Spectrum

Some people don’t fit neatly into alloromantic (experiences full romantic attraction) or aromantic (experiences no romantic attraction) categories. There is a gray area, much like the ace-specturm, called the aromantic spectrum. Here are just a few possibilities:

Grayromantic: Someone who rarely experiences romantic attraction, or does not wish to have a romantic relationship despite feeling romantic attraction.

Cupioromantic: Someone who wishes to be in a romantic relationship, but still does not experience romantic attraction.

Demiromantic: Someone who only experiences romantic attraction after they have formed a strong connection with the person.

Want to Learn More?

Here is a link to Arocalypse, an aromantic forum and a wealth of information from the aromantics themselves.

http://www.arocalypse.com/forums/

Sources

https://wp.wwu.edu/westernaces/terminology/

http://www.arocalypse.com/forums/topic/1135-comprehensive-list-of-romantic-orientations/

Don't worry. Your time will come.

I wanted to put up posters on my campus, even designed one and everything, but I had the same fears about it as @Costati. I'm not out to anyone at my college as aro, so I didn't exactly have a support system behind me...

I have been posting daily to my blog, though. And I've gotten a lot of nice messages about that, so that's nice. I really can't wait for the day we don't have to be afraid to advocate for ourselves anymore, though I guess maybe that'll be the day we don't need "awareness" anymore and can starting having pride instead...

Yeah, I've got the same nervousness going on too. I do have an aro flag pin on the bag I carry my art supplies in for school, but that's more of a "either people will recognize it or they won't" thing, not a "I'm going to tell everyone about this" thing. (And even the button makes me nervous, tbh, I've considered taking it off many times but I keep it because I want to prove to myself that I won't be beaten by arophobes, I guess? Idk.)

I know my college has an LGBT group, but I suspect they're not aspec-friendly... None of their flyers, online info, or even their booth at the club fair mentioned anything other than literally L-G-B-T, not even pansexuality, and definitely not asexuality (much less aromanticism, but lbr, even ace-friendly people rarely know what it is). I mean, they didn't say they have anything against aspecs, but they also didn't say they support them, and the existence asexuality at least is fairly common knowledge in the LGBT+ community these days, so... Call me paranoid, but I don't trust them. : / Which sucks as someone who is also bi, tbh...

I totally feel that. My campus' queer alliance literally has a tumblr where they post aro-friendly things and are clearly at least tolerant of aros but arophobia has broken me down to the point where I'm still like "hmmmm :/// can't trust anyone :////"

It's frustrating because I want to raise awareness and I'm not ashamed of my orientation but I'm scared to tell people

1 hour ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

Yeah, I've got the same nervousness going on too. I do have an aro flag pin on the bag I carry my art supplies in for school, but that's more of a "either people will recognize it or they won't" thing, not a "I'm going to tell everyone about this" thing. (And even the button makes me nervous, tbh, I've considered taking it off many times but I keep it because I want to prove to myself that I won't be beaten by arophobes, I guess? Idk.)

I know my college has an LGBT group, but I suspect they're not aspec-friendly... None of their flyers, online info, or even their booth at the club fair mentioned anything other than literally L-G-B-T, not even pansexuality, and definitely not asexuality (much less aromanticism, but lbr, even ace-friendly people rarely know what it is). I mean, they didn't say they have anything against aspecs, but they also didn't say they support them, and the existence asexuality at least is fairly common knowledge in the LGBT+ community these days, so... Call me paranoid, but I don't trust them. : / Which sucks as someone who is also bi, tbh...

45 minutes ago, techno-trashcan said:

I totally feel that. My campus' queer alliance literally has a tumblr where they post aro-friendly things and are clearly at least tolerant of aros but arophobia has broken me down to the point where I'm still like "hmmmm :/// can't trust anyone :////"

It's frustrating because I want to raise awareness and I'm not ashamed of my orientation but I'm scared to tell people

yeah my school's LGBT club is gonna start up next Tuesday and I'm kinda scared? I know some of the people who are gonna go too and most of them I know are aro friendly, but I'm still scared I'll be too nervous to talk about aro issues or that the group won't really feel like a safe space for me. There probably won't be any other aromantics and I'm worried I'll be a footnote or that discussions will perpetuate arophobic rhetoric and I won't feel comfortable calling that out. On the other hand I talked to a new-ish lesbian friend today (who'll definitely be going) about shared experiences with thinking we liked boys and she didn't seem to think I was out of my lane or anything so maybe it will be good? 

@'Naegleria fowleri' >> Thanks, at least knowing you only had one bad reaction outta fifty is a bit reassuring. I don't really live in a city and the closest to me doesn't really have a lot of young adults or students in them. I feel like in the vaste majority students or just young adults have more chance to know a bit more about this and to be a bit more open because the most awereness comes from internet and young adults are statistically more in it. Where I am from anyway. 

I've thought about joining a LGBT+ association a while back but like people said before me I have no idea if they're arospec friendly I mean they seem to be but it's still scary to me especially because I'm heterosexual. If they don't understand the difference betwen romantic and sexual attraction they'll for sure think I'm an allohet who has nothing to do there.

I'll try the pin tho that's honestly a great idea and great place to start. People that don't know about it won't notice and people who do won't think I'm a psychopath (which is crazy btw because psychopaths do have feelings and the ability to love so that's a dumb comment even if it weren't offensive).

Archived