Age range of openly aromantic

Iamwilliame

13 hours ago, Zorcodtoa said:

Probably for similar reasons for asexuals. Romance is glorified as much sex if not more (I think it's more, especially historically) and aromanticality has only gained much awareness in the last decade or so. Many people over that age are in relationships especially marriage and some were pressured into it long before they had internet access let alone heard about aromantics....

Or they might be single and waiting for "it" to happen. Especially if they are heterosexual.
Even around 1960 the proportion of married people was  under 90% in North America and Europe. It's been going down since then, especially in the last twenty or so years. Now a slim majority in the US and a minority in the UK.

Might also be a case of lack of awareness. Aromanticism doesn't come up a lot, it seems to be more word-of-mouth type information spreading rather than something more obvious. I remember reading something where a mother only discovered she was aromantic when her daughter came home for a university holiday and came out as aromantic herself. So I think there are many not out simply because they have never heard the word or definition yet are settled in their sense of self to not be bothered about looking for a like minded community. 

8 hours ago, Apathetic Echidna said:

Might also be a case of lack of awareness. Aromanticism doesn't come up a lot, it seems to be more word-of-mouth type information spreading rather than something more obvious. I remember reading something where a mother only discovered she was aromantic when her daughter came home for a university holiday and came out as aromantic herself. So I think there are many not out simply because they have never heard the word or definition yet are settled in their sense of self to not be bothered about looking for a like minded community. 

I think this is a big part of it.

Also, people might tend to question themselves and try to form an identity more when they're younger. So, even though internet is around now for everyone to search around, many people might not even think about it.

Maybe also because younger people are far more likely to be getting in and out of relationships, or at least talking about other people and their relationships, so you stand out more and feel the need to explain (not that you even should have to explain) why you aren't doing that.

And the friends and family of most people over 40 are more likely to have given in to the idea that they are never going to be in a relationship with someone.

Archived