Mark

Naming It Matters: “Singlism,” “Matrimania,” and Their Journey into Our Awareness

https://blogs.psychcentral.com/single-at-heart/2017/10/coining-new-terms-how-singlism-and-matrimania-made-it-into-the-mainstream/

Whilst I don't think Dr DePaulo specifically mentions aros I think some of her research might be relevant.

• Like 2

That was an interesting article. Matrimania is having a resurgence in all those reality tv shows centred around weddings, brain washing the next generation......

I clicked through some of the links and the 'Check Your Marital Privilege' one had some funny stuff. 

• I enjoy the presumption of happiness: People assume that because I am married, I’m happier than I would be if I were single. If I am not happy, people don't assume it's because I'm married.
  • I do not receive unsolicited advice about what I did wrong that led me to get married, or what “issues” I have that left me in the sorry state of matrimony
  • I do not get looks of pity when strangers learn that I am married.

the rest of it though was sad, or sort of America-centric....I'm fairly sure some of that stuff doesn't apply in the Commonweath or other nations

• Like 1

Quite honestly I see singlism and such discrimination as yet another proof that humans are notoriously egocentric and we increasingly live in cultures of greed and especially narcissism. One of the reasons some (if not many) people greatly encourage or even force others to go through marriage is the whole title and ceremony - the ostentatious but rigid gesture of bowing before the will or wants of their parents, and/or peers. The sheer tradition of it is little more than an outrageous expression of compliance and conformity. It is a subtle nod to the increasingly vocal crypto-fascists who use it against us because they hate anything and anyone that doesn't remind them of themselves or at least their super-ego they're infatuated with....

But wedding cake is nice. :P

• Like 1