Sign in to follow this  
Holmbo

Most aromantic movie?

I keep wanting to bring in more pop-culture discussion in this forum. Maybe because most other forums I enjoy are about this, so I want to merge them :D

I read this topic Romanticizing aromanticism which made me think about all the ways one could romanticize different aspects of being aro. For example there is much pop-culture where being single is shown to be free, fun and exciting or being married is like imprisonment and a chore.

What do you feel is the most ideal aromantic movie? I feel like, for guys at least, it's I love you man. The main character has a fiance  but that just makes it better because it shows that mere romantic love is not enough and that everyone needs close friends in their lives.

• Like 2

Perhaps we shouldn't be romanticizing aromanticism because that would further blur the lines and understanding of what it really is. The idea is to explain what aromanticism is to non-aro people but dramatizing it isn't the correct way, besides, I don't want be marginalized in this manner, as I assume other aros don't either. 

Looking at movies looking for things that you believe they are but aren't reality or at least not in the eyes of the writers and producers is a wrong-headed approach. The equivalent thought process in a different area is as follows;  applying the Betchdel test to movies that were created way before it was invented. Of course, the movies won't pass the Betchdel test that came before it, it wasn't even thought of and wasn't the vision of the writers, executive producer(s) and director.

Instead of trying to figure out what's more aromantic in terms of movies, perhaps we should start doing screenwriting and writing stageplays that show our own unique pespective. By doing this, we don't marginalize ourselves or other people and the truth by acting it out from our hearts gives a better understanding of how life, events and activities are for all of us that identify as aro.

yes, but pop culture is fun! 

I like pop culture in the forums too @Holmbo perhaps you have seen my topic that has basically tuned into a 'show me some interesting songs' topic 

As for aromantic movies......well certainly not 'The Lobster' or 'The 5th Wave' those movies were terrible horrible painful movies to watch - maybe a film student could read into it more and find something good but as a casual watch, no. 

I sort of think the movie '40 Days and 40 Nights' is sort of an ace movie, a horrible commentary on normalised sex obsession and how not pursuing sex is seen almost as a threat to society....basically this movie is messed up too. 

I'm not very good at this. I am meant to be posting good aromantic-type movies to fill the gap until actual aromantic movies are being made. 

Maybe 'Perks of Being a Wallflower', friendship is important in that movie and none of the romances seem to work out, the friendships are much more supportive than the romantic partners, and the main character being trapped in a relationship seems very close to an aro experience. (though everyone seems to be seeking a romantic relationship throughout the whole thing). 

How about all the recent Star Trek movies! Kirk is single and free, while enjoying his time with work and friends and adventure. 

'Legally Blonde' needs a mention too even if she does end up with someone at the end of the movie. 

• Like 1

On 2017-10-05 at 7:07 PM, Lex Barringer said:

Perhaps we shouldn't be romanticizing aromanticism because that would further blur the lines and understanding of what it really is. The idea is to explain what aromanticism is to non-aro people but dramatizing it isn't the correct way, besides, I don't want be marginalized in this manner, as I assume other aros don't either. 

Looking at movies looking for things that you believe they are but aren't reality or at least not in the eyes of the writers and producers is a wrong-headed approach. The equivalent thought process in a different area is as follows;  applying the Betchdel test to movies that were created way before it was invented. Of course, the movies won't pass the Betchdel test that came before it, it wasn't even thought of and wasn't the vision of the writers, executive producer(s) and director.

Instead of trying to figure out what's more aromantic in terms of movies, perhaps we should start doing screenwriting and writing stageplays that show our own unique pespective. By doing this, we don't marginalize ourselves or other people and the truth by acting it out from our hearts gives a better understanding of how life, events and activities are for all of us that identify as aro.

That's quite a serious take on it. I didn't think anything beyond a fun post were we list movies. But we could branch out the topic, let me think a bit about a reply.

On 2017-10-06 at 3:12 PM, Apathetic Echidna said:

I sort of think the movie '40 Days and 40 Nights' is sort of an ace movie, a horrible commentary on normalised sex obsession and how not pursuing sex is seen almost as a threat to society....basically this movie is messed up too.

Hmm like a satire? I like it. Though, that movie is weird on many levels.

Unfortunately I don't have any aro songs to add to the song discussion. For some reason I don't really have that much interest in music.

• Like 1

So I thought of one movie that doesn't have any romantic love and it is about a group of people coming together, as friends or just to help out a neighbour. Some of them start caring for each other and the main relationship dynamic is almost like a father/daughter thing..

The movie is The Lady In The Water! 

I would recommend Frances Ha to any aro woman who has fallen deeply, platonically in love with another woman then had everything go to hell when said woman gets into a serious romantic relationship. The film is a bit hipsterish, but the friendship it focuses on is complex and very moving.