James White

Aromanticism in one sentence

I recently heard a quote from the famous feminist, Gloria Steinem. When asked why she wasn't married, she responded with this gem. 

"I don't mate in captivity." 

It's now my favorite sentence in the English language because of how elegantly it sums up my aromantic experience. I'd like to hear if anyone else in the community knows some nice and simple ways of communicating that kind of aro pride with such concision. After all, we could all use a more efficient and well-tuned way to explain aromanticism. 

I look forward to reading some other examples. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

"My kind of love is a wall that is build over time for a clear reason, not a flame that starts blazing suddenly and out of the blue." 

• Like 8

My teacher's words after explaining that aromanticism is a lot like being straight, except everyone's your gender:

"So it's like being a straight boy in a room full of straight boys."

• Like 13

(as much as my hate for the phase...)

"Everyone's in the 'friend zone'."

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

"I'd like to do that, but not like that."

• Like 4

"I love you like I love the weather"

(Though I guess this doesn't work if the person has some weird kink for weather...I'm sure there is a kink for that. There is a kink for everything)

Friends. friends. frie n ds.  fr i en d s.   f  r i e   n d    s.      f   r       i       e    n                  d          s.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

hmm, hard to say.  i like the one you mentioned, @James White, partly because i'm poly.  (also, i know i've said this, but your 'Heterosexual, but so aro it doesn't even matter' still cracks me up every time, because LARGE MOOD.)  how about 'i like friends and/or benefits but not boyfriends'?  (by the general definition.  i might call a qpp a boyfriend.  and 'not girlfriends' is implied.  in the interest of keeping it concise.)