Feeling less vulnerable?

Untamed Heart

23 hours ago, DeltaV said:

Was you getting into fights with bullies adhering to the Stoic ideal? ;)

Back then I was young: I hadn't read the Stoics yet, or completed the ritual of Kolinahr ;)

(I also seem to recall Spock getting into quite a few fights with bullies in J.J. Abrams' Star Trek reboot :D)

23 hours ago, DeltaV said:

Yes, I agree, of course willpower and mental disciplines aren't fixed resources. But they're often unspokenly assumed to come in huge supplies right from the start. :D

True dat. People are often implicitly expected to rely on 'pure willpower' to fix a problem - as if that 'resource' would just be both magically avaible and inexhaustible from the outset.

4 hours ago, Untamed Heart said:

I do try and have a 'pale blue dot' attitude sometimes - in the grand scheme of things, nothing matters, as we're on a tiny speck in the middle of space... but it doesn't really work!

I actually used to find it helpful to stare at images like this one when I was feeling overwhelmed. Even the tiniest patches of sky are teeming with thousands of galaxies; pretty amazing to think about!

15 hours ago, NullVector said:

(I also seem to recall Spock getting into quite a few fights with bullies in J.J. Abrams' Star Trek reboot :D)

Just another example of J.J. Abram's films carelessly breaking the canon. *making a serious facial expression*

Archived