"Black Plus" People as Murder Victims?

Ettina

Is it just me, or are there a lot of people who are black and some other marginalized identity getting murdered? If you look at murders of trans women, most of them are black. If you look at young black men hurt or killed by police, a lot of them are neurodivergent. Is this a general pattern? Are there other intersections between being black and some other minority that are disproportionately getting killed, too?

• 2 months later...

I just watched a documentary about the Grim Sleeper serial killer and I am now 900% more sure that the murders you hear about are like 4% of what is actually going on. The only deaths I hear about are mostly local to my state, and then it is generally city/suburb dwellers. It seems the serial killers we have are generally caught when bodies start showing up or a victim gets away....everything else is a missing person, and missing people are generally not reported on. Australia has lots of missing persons. 

I don't really know about the rates you are talking about, but maybe it is the Black Lives Matter movement that has shined a spotlight where one hasn't shined before? 

I do have this little nifty link https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings-2016/ for comparison purposes. Very informative as it bombards you with sad. 

Archived