Favourite Anime/Manga(s)?

ApeironStella

Hmm, can't say I've come across any BL that I actually like, but I don't really know much besides the popular ones like junjou and sekai ichi. Anything you would recommend, @aro_elise?

My rather obvious choice for today is Boku no Hero Academia.

It's a battle shounen series about a school for heroes in a world where most people have "Quirks" aka superpowers.

I like the character designs, the music is nice and it's was overall a alright experience, though I have to say I didn't enjoy it all the time.

I don't really care to much about some characters and outright hate others and they completely ruin every scene they are in for me. I don't particular care for the story at this point and it has a rather generic feel to it at times.

If you like battle shounen series and quirky characters though, I can really recommend this series and it is definitely worth a shot.

(Second page, yay)

• Like 2

Aaaaaahh so many things to say, so little time !

I'm an anime trash, so I've seen my fair share of anime xD

But if I have to choose, well :

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o: it's a 2 seasons anime following a boy who is sent to a fantasy world following his death, forming a dysfunctional party with a goddess, a wizard, and a crusader to fight against monsters. It's hilarious and  spews out pure joys and rainbows. A totally goofball kind of anime. 

Nichijou TV. This will be simple : there is No. Fucking. Storyline.Or.Plot.At.All. Well, it primarily focuses on the daily lives of a trio of childhood friends, whose stories soon intertwine with the young genius Hakase Shinonome, her robot caretaker Nano, and their talking cat Sakamoto.  You never know what’s going to happen next, be it a humorous dialogue scene, a fast paced action sequence, an amusing random still image or a hilarious but completely unrelated skit. This show is my jam when i'm depressed.

Psycho Pass :  " In the 22nd century, Japan enforces the Sibyl System, an objective means of determining the threat level of each citizen by examining their mental state for signs of criminal intent, known as their Psycho-Pass. Inspectors uphold the law by subjugating, often with lethal force, anyone harboring the slightest ill-will; alongside them are Enforcers, jaded Inspectors that have become latent criminals, granted relative freedom in exchange for carrying out the Inspectors' dirty work."  You add a criminal mastermind, super great protagonists development and relationships, with a lot of commentary on human nature, the natures of societies, law and governance, good and evil, and a top notch soundtrack. Then, you mix all of this and you'll have Psycho Pass. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, sarcastic kitten said:

Nichijou TV. This will be simple : there is No. Fucking. Storyline.Or.Plot.At.All. Well, it primarily focuses on the daily lives of a trio of childhood friends, whose stories soon intertwine with the young genius Hakase Shinonome, her robot caretaker Nano, and their talking cat Sakamoto.  You never know what’s going to happen next, be it a humorous dialogue scene, a fast paced action sequence, an amusing random still image or a hilarious but completely unrelated skit. This show is my jam when i'm depressed.

OMG yes!

I have this sitting on my shelf. I loved it. So many log cakes. It is like a sweeter less insane version of Excel Saga (which I saw first so I compare everything to Excel Saga). 

and there is a plot! sort of. She want to go to school, she starts going to school!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

update: after i finished free! (really liked it) i watched dramatical murder (not really my thing but if you like sci-fi stuff i recommend it) and yuri on ice--loved it.  i was told yuri and victor were together in it, which turned out to be...not exactly true, but i'm holding out for the next season.  anyway, if you haven't seen it yet, watch it.  it's going to be hard to top, for me.  i'll continue to update.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

If you're looking for a really weird random comedy anime, Hetalia is one about personified countries (the english dub version is terrible and the first 4 seasons are...meh. Also each episode is 5 minutes, including the ending). The fandom is crazy. They/we even have a religion.

If you like supernatural (?) things, action, mystery, and comedy, I reccomend Bungou Stray Dogs. All of the characters are named after famous writers (most are Japanese but some aren't, like Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald, John Steinback, etc) and their "abilities"/powers are named after the title/character/plot of their famous book. Almost every single one of them is good-looking except one but I don't even think he's human. Not reccomended for people who don't like blood, but there's not as much as Tokyo Ghoul.

wheeeeee

On 2/19/2018 at 8:26 PM, Szokusia said:

The fandom is crazy. They/we even have a religion.

Please tell me I hallucinated this post because it's either that or I've fallen into a portal back to 2009

Anyway, as my username and icon suggests, I am a big fan of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. (I've read all of 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and some of 5.) But believe it or not, my favorite anime is actually Fullmetal Alchemist! I've been a fan since early 2009, when I was 11 years old. I run fma-facts on Tumblr, and the only forms of FMA I have yet to experience are some of the Japan-exclusive video games and books, although I have played the GBA games and the first Wii game. I'm a firm believer that both anime sucked in comparison to the manga and I could go on for ages about how Brotherhood ruined a lot of things, but I love all forms of FMA, and I also believe that anyone who would seriously tell people not to watch anime A because they prefer anime B is an idiot who hates fun. Seriously.

Aside from that, I love Hikaru no Go and Meganebu, and other series I've at least partially read/seen include Death Note, Soul Eater, xxxHolic, Boku no Hero Academia, Hunter x Hunter, Tokyo Mew Mew, Rose of Versailles, One Punch Man, and, unfortunately, Rurouni Kenshin. And, yes, I will admit I was really into Hetalia back in the day... I still love it in some ways, but I've Learned since then, so I don't really talk about it as much, lmao.

• Like 5

also Fullmetal Alchemist! I haven't watched the original anime (though I'm meaning to) but I've watched brotherhood and managed to slooooowly collect all the manga which I love to bits. Also Yonen Buzz which is this weird manga about some guys in a band that I honestly can't explain my attachment to? I also can't find the fourth volume in English which is sad, but I love the art style and there's a lot of really good music recommendations in the manga (for instance that's how I got into shonen knife)

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

The venerable Aro Necromancer says: "After four years, I will bring this thread back to life!" 🧛‍♀️🧛‍♂️

Ok, I'm now watching Vinland Saga.

This series is just GREAT. Very recommended, if you can stomach the violence. Now at episode 15/24. It's more historically accurate than Vikings or The Last Kingdom.

This anime also seems to be strictly aro. Until now I basically did not encounter ANY display of romantic love.

Kind of funny, there were multiple obvious hints & opportunities where romance should've happened - but it did not!

• Like 1

Tasogare Shimanami/Our Dreams at Dusk by Yuuki Kamatani. It's about a group of SGRM (sexual, gender & romantic minorities) who support each other. Not perfectly, but they do learn from their interactions. The author is non-binary. 

https://dynasty-scans.com/series/shimanami_tasogare

• Like 1

Fullmetal Alchemist was my gateway anime. I need to rewatch it one day, it completely blew me away the first time.

Other favorites:
CLANNAD (still holds up after multiple viewings, too. visual novel is best, though, and you can get it on steam and run it on even a potato level laptop)
Soul Eater
New Game!
The Disastrous Life of Saiki K

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 5:09 AM, Collie said:

Soul Eater

That was such an extremely weird anime... yeah, it did not help that I binged the whole series in May - the Halloween aesthetics felt a bit out of place.

Of course there are overall much weirder anime. But this one mostly still tries to be a normal shonen with mainstream appeal, I guess.

My favorite character is Blair:

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/85ad6bce-b1d9-4ec7-bbcc-6f445cd5335f/d24nxth-7b4e1def-db2e-422f-bbe1-2313d20c463f.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzg1YWQ2YmNlLWIxZDktNGVjNy1iYmNjLTZmNDQ1Y2Q1MzM1ZlwvZDI0bnh0aC03YjRlMWRlZi1kYjJlLTQyMmYtYmJlMS0yMzEzZDIwYzQ2M2YuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.G2QyO053oMcWH98CvO-I4Yz_bWhA8xcIvk8E8wW3HCI

"I'm not a witch, meow!"

Other anime that I like:

1. Re:Zero – Starting Life in Another World
  2. Overlord
  3. The Rising Of The Shield Hero (yeah, controversial... still I like it)
  4. GATE (very silly)
  5. That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime

and of course Attack on Titan (who doesn't).

It seems my tastes shifted from Sci-Fi to Dark Fantasy / Isekai.

On 7/24/2022 at 1:37 AM, Lovebird said:

I love it so much that it's majorly influenced my art style and character design.

I came across this anime just recently. For some reason I was completely oblivious to it.

I also love the art style, characters and story. Especially the art style 💚 there really is nothing like it.

The technical quality of the animations OTOH is uh-oh... bad. Every corner that could be cut was (budget constraints?). So I stopped watching. Maybe I give it another try.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anime:

• Fullmetal Alchemist (2003)
  • Princess Tutu
  • Yuri!!! On Ice
  • 07-Ghost
  • Kageki Shoujo
  • Spirited Away
  • Howl's Moving Castle
  • Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Manga:

• Fullmetal Alchemist
  • Cardcaptor Sakura
  • D.Gray-Man
  • No. 06
  • Nabari no Ou
  • Death Note
  • xxxHolic
  • Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle
  • Pandora Hearts
  • Vanitas no Carte
  • Witch Hat Atelier

I usually enjoy manga more than anime, but really enjoy the music and voices and animation of the cartoons and so will still watch those. Though in the case of FMA, I do actually just think the first anime had a really unique story and there are very much elements and themes in it that speak to me a lot more than the manga version, though likewise there are certain things I think the manga did better too. I got through the manga first and then was very excited to be able to go into the series again not knowing what the plot reveals would be, really had a lot of fun with both.

Nabari no Ou I usually don't see discussed much, but it was excellent! Definitely the kind to hit you in the feels though. Princess Tutu I only watched once, but I thought it was really solid and unusual at the time. I enjoyed how eccentric it was. The manga list is the ones I really hyperfixated on as a teen though. (Ghibli I definitely was really into as a kid too though)

Then there are bunch of anime/manga series I've seen and either like but feel weird calling a fave, or they just didn't vibe despite being frequently recommended. I binged some 700 episodes of Pokemon when I was a pre-teen, and am still a huge Team Rocket fan, but honestly tournament-style shounen tropes don't usually really do it for me, so I dunno now how to count it. I binged some Yu-Gi-Oh and had fun with it but also...didn't really get into any of the card/tournament stuff. I watched and read a lot of Karneval and it was definitely An Experience but I dunno if I could call it fully a good series either. xD I actually really liked Violet Evergarden in a normal way, but never really revisited or fixated on it.  And then I tried stuff like Attack on Titan, Cowboy Bebop, and Ouran High School Host Club among others, and definitely appreciated elements of each, but didn't really get into any of them properly. Oh, and I kinda keep up with Bungou Stray Dogs, which I do enjoy but I wished it would focus more on the character development stuff, it just always feels like a lot of opportunities are missed even if it's still fun. I haven't really been sure what I want to try for anime/manga next? Aside from watching the movie Belle at some point. I do need to get back to Twelve Kingdoms though because that was intriguing.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

i watch animes mainly for the story and concept but sometimes ones with unique artstyles can have its own special spot in my heart too. i only read manga when it has an unfinished anime adaptation that ive watched

though a large part of me watches shows for queer rep or characters i can slap my flags on i still appreciate the overall plot and how the characters are written since i enjoy analyzing characters and cinematic structures as well

but so far my favorite animes are

• hxh [hunter x hunter]
  • hnk [houseki no kuni]
  • tdlosk [the disastrous life of saiki k]
  • mp100 [mob psycho 100]
  • mm [magica madoka]
  • s7 [scissor seven]
  • nge [neon genesis evangelion]
Edited by sevan
  • Like 1