Supporting a friend who wants to date

Guest 102ee...aee

Question

Guest 102ee...aee

So my friend has recently been through a (very, VERY messy) breakup of a very serious long-term relationship, and it hasn't even been 2 months and she's talking about dating again...

Personally, I'm like facepalming all over the place, but ... I don't want to piss her off.

What would you do in this situation? I think dating is a terrible idea for her, and not to mention probably unfair to whoever she dates too... but I can't think of a nice/supportive/friendly way of explaining it... I'm afraid I'm going to end up saying something really insulting, and I don't want to do that, but I'm not sure I can help it...

A big part of what bugs me is that I would really love to spend more time with her, and if she's going to be prioritizing some random strangers over me, then I'm not sure how to handle that... it actually makes me pretty angry. Like, I'd do just about anything to support her with what she's been going through, but she'd rather hang out with total strangers? I just don't get it...

Anonymous poster hash: 102ee...aee

1 answer to this question

Heya ! I don't think my answer to this kind of problem will be helpful but I'll try. 

I can understand why you don't want to hurt your friend. She's dear to you and you don't want to lose her by saying that she aren't ready to date yet and that she would prefer some strangers over you. Kind of understandable. But you are her friend, right ? So you kind of know her and she kind of know you ? The right thing to do is to tell her and discuss it openly. Don't be afraid to tell her what you think about it : you have the right to express yourself but don't be pushy and respect her decisions. Tell her simply and it will be her right to listen ot not to it.

Relationships are not easy : neither the love one nor the friendship one. But both of them need communication to work. If you bottle up your thoughts about the situation it will certainly explode right at her face whitout any of you being prepared. And it'll end badly.

Here. I hope that piece of advice will help you. Don't be afraid ! You can do it :)

Archived